Practical guide for identifying unmet clinical needs for biomarkers.
AuthorsMonaghan, Phillip J
St John, A
AffiliationThe Christie Pathology Partnership, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe development and evaluation of novel biomarkers and testing strategies requires a close examination of existing clinical pathways, including mapping of current pathways and identifying areas of unmet need. This approach enables early recognition of analytical and clinical performance criteria to guide evaluation studies, in a cyclical and iterative manner, all the time keeping the clinical pathway and patient health outcomes as the key drivers in the process. The Test Evaluation Working Group of the European Federation of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine (EFLM TE-WG) https://www.eflm.eu/site/page/a/1158 has published a conceptual framework of the test evaluation cycle which is driven by the clinical pathway, inherent to which is the test purpose and role within the pathway that are defined by clinical need. To supplement this framework, the EFLM TE-WG has also published an interactive checklist for identifying unmet clinical needs for new biomarkers; a practical tool that laboratories, clinicians, researchers and industry can equally use in a consistent manner when new tests are developed and before they are released to the market. It is hoped that these practical tools will provide consistent and appropriate terminology in this diverse field and offer a platform that facilitates greater consultation and collaboration between all stakeholders. The checklist should assist the work of all colleagues involved in the discovery of novel biomarkers and implementation of new medical tests. The tool is aligned with the IOM recommendations and the FDA and CE regulating body's requirements.
CitationPractical guide for identifying unmet clinical needs for biomarkers. 2018, 29 (2): 129-137 EJIFCC
- From biomarkers to medical tests: the changing landscape of test evaluation.
- Authors: Horvath AR, Lord SJ, StJohn A, Sandberg S, Cobbaert CM, Lorenz S, Monaghan PJ, Verhagen-Kamerbeek WD, Ebert C, Bossuyt PM, Test Evaluation Working Group of the European Federation of Clinical Chemistry Laboratory Medicine.
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 1
- Biomarker development targeting unmet clinical needs.
- Authors: Monaghan PJ, Lord SJ, St John A, Sandberg S, Cobbaert CM, Lennartz L, Verhagen-Kamerbeek WD, Ebert C, Bossuyt PM, Horvath AR, Test Evaluation Working Group of the European Federation of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine.
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 1
- The CRESS checklist for reporting stability studies: on behalf of the European Federation of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine (EFLM) Working Group for the Preanalytical Phase (WG-PRE).
- Authors: Cornes M, Simundic AM, Cadamuro J, Costelloe SJ, Baird G, Kristensen GBB, von Meyer A, Nybo M, Gómez Rioja R
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 25
- Defining a roadmap for harmonizing quality indicators in Laboratory Medicine: a consensus statement on behalf of the IFCC Working Group "Laboratory Error and Patient Safety" and EFLM Task and Finish Group "Performance specifications for the extra-analytical phases".
- Authors: Sciacovelli L, Panteghini M, Lippi G, Sumarac Z, Cadamuro J, Galoro CAO, Pino Castro IGD, Shcolnik W, Plebani M
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 28
- Survey of national guidelines, education and training on phlebotomy in 28 European countries: an original report by the European Federation of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine (EFLM) working group for the preanalytical phase (WG-PA).
- Authors: Simundic AM, Cornes M, Grankvist K, Lippi G, Nybo M, Kovalevskaya S, Sprongl L, Sumarac Z, Church S
- Issue date: 2013 Aug