An unusual case of leptomeningeal carcinomatosis in a patient with primary adenocarcinoma of the lung.
AffiliationDepartment of Oncology, Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA 72-year-old man was brought to the emergency department with acute onset confusion and haemoptysis. Chest X-ray showed a possible lung mass, while CT head showed a fluid-filled, space-occupying lesion (SOL) in the right frontal lobe of the brain. MRI head indicated that this SOL had spilt its contents into the subarachnoid and intraventricular spaces. Due to a fluctuating Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS), the patient underwent emergency debulking. Macroscopically, a frail-walled cystic tumour filled with straw-coloured fluid was noted; histology confirmed metastasis from a primary lung adenocarcinoma. Whole brain radiotherapy was given, with a view to commence systemic therapy. The patient, however, deteriorated and unfortunately passed away a few weeks after completing radiotherapy. This patient presented with leptomeningeal metastasis as the first presentation of a lung adenocarcinoma, and had a highly unusual mechanism by which leptomeningeal spread had occurred, with metastatic brain tumour spilling its contents into the meningeal spaces.
CitationAn unusual case of leptomeningeal carcinomatosis in a patient with primary adenocarcinoma of the lung. 2018, 2018 BMJ Case Rep
JournalBMJ Case Reports
- T2-hyperintense, non-gadolinium-enhancing, diffusion-restricted symmetrical curvilinear lesion of the anterior pons: a rare radiological pattern of leptomeningeal metastatic disease secondary to likely lung adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Brooks CA, Bonura A, Beran RG
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 18
- Colorectal cancer presenting with dysarthria and ataxia: a case of isolated leptomeningeal metastasis.
- Authors: Lahiri RP, Burnand KM, Bandi A, Farooq N, Sathesh-Kumar T
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Leptomeningeal carcinomatosis as initial presentation in adenocarcinoma of lung with signet ring cell features: an autopsy case report.
- Authors: Choi E, Lewis AL, Takei H, Ro JY
- Issue date: 2012
- Rare case of pancreatic cancer with leptomeningeal carcinomatosis.
- Authors: Yoo IK, Lee HS, Kim CD, Chun HJ, Jeen YT, Keum B, Kim ES, Choi HS, Lee JM, Kim SH, Nam SJ, Hyun JJ
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 21
- Ocular symptoms secondary to meningeal carcinomatosis in a patient with lung adenocarcinoma: a case report.
- Authors: Sabater AL, Sadaba LM, de Nova E
- Issue date: 2012 Dec 18