AffiliationMedizinische Klinik I, Experimentelle und Klinische Endokrinologie, Universität zu Lübeck, Lübeck, Germany
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCardiometabolic risk factors like abdominal obesity, hyperglycemia, low high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, elevated triglycerides, and hypertension are defined as metabolic syndrome (MetS), which represents one of the most frequent endocrine disorders particularly in a society with increasing weight problems. As more and more evidence is accumulated that thyroid hormones affect components of the MetS, the present review aims to summarize the rapidly expanding knowledge on the pathophysiological interaction between thyroid hormone status and MetS. The review is based on a PubMed search for combinations of thyroid hormone action and MetS, blood pressure, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, glucose, diabetes mellitus, body weight, or visceral fat. A special focus was given for manuscripts published after 2000 but we included seminal papers published before year 2000 as well.
CitationMetabolic Syndrome in Thyroid Disease. 2018, 49: 48-66 Front Horm Res
JournalFrontiers of Hormone Research
- Thyroid hormones and the metabolic syndrome.
- Authors: Iwen KA, Schröder E, Brabant G
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Relationship of metabolic syndrome and its components with thyroid dysfunction in Algerian patients.
- Authors: Hamlaoui ML, Ayachi A, Dekaken A, Gouri A
- Issue date: 2018 Jan - Mar
- The metabolic syndrome and mammographic breast density in a racially diverse and predominantly immigrant sample of women.
- Authors: Tehranifar P, Protacio A, Schmitt KM, Desperito E, Oskar S, Potter AJ, Engmann NJ, Terry MB
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- Metabolic syndrome and low high-density lipoprotein cholesterol are associated with adverse pathological features in patients with prostate cancer treated by radical prostatectomy.
- Authors: Lebdai S, Mathieu R, Leger J, Haillot O, Vincendeau S, Rioux-Leclercq N, Fournier G, Perrouin-Verbe MA, Doucet L, Azzouzi AR, Rigaud J, Renaudin K, Charles T, Bruyere F, Fromont G
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- Thyroid disease and the metabolic syndrome.
- Authors: Mehran L, Amouzegar A, Azizi F
- Issue date: 2019 Oct