Selective loss of PARG restores PARylation and counteracts parp inhibitor-mediated synthetic lethality.
de Ruiter, J
de Bruijn, R
James, Dominic I
Guerrero Llobet, S
van den Broek, B
van de Ven, M
van Vugt, M
van Attikum, H
AffiliationDivision of Molecular Pathology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam 1066CX, the Netherlands
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInhibitors of poly(ADP-ribose) (PAR) polymerase (PARPi) have recently entered the clinic for the treatment of homologous recombination (HR)-deficient cancers. Despite the success of this approach, drug resistance is a clinical hurdle, and we poorly understand how cancer cells escape the deadly effects of PARPi without restoring the HR pathway. By combining genetic screens with multi-omics analysis of matched PARPi-sensitive and -resistant Brca2-mutated mouse mammary tumors, we identified loss of PAR glycohydrolase (PARG) as a major resistance mechanism. We also found the presence of PARG-negative clones in a subset of human serous ovarian and triple-negative breast cancers. PARG depletion restores PAR formation and partially rescues PARP1 signaling. Importantly, PARG inactivation exposes vulnerabilities that can be exploited therapeutically.
CitationSelective loss of PARG restores PARylation and counteracts parp inhibitor-mediated synthetic lethality. 2018, 33(6): 1078-1093.e12 Cancer Cell
- EZH2 contributes to the response to PARP inhibitors through its PARP-mediated poly-ADP ribosylation in breast cancer.
- Authors: Yamaguchi H, Du Y, Nakai K, Ding M, Chang SS, Hsu JL, Yao J, Wei Y, Nie L, Jiao S, Chang WC, Chen CH, Yu Y, Hortobagyi GN, Hung MC
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 11
- Specific killing of DNA damage-response deficient cells with inhibitors of poly(ADP-ribose) glycohydrolase.
- Authors: Gravells P, Grant E, Smith KM, James DI, Bryant HE
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- New Targeted Agents in Gynecologic Cancers: Synthetic Lethality, Homologous Recombination Deficiency, and PARP Inhibitors.
- Authors: Liu FW, Tewari KS
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- PARP Inhibitor Resistance: A Tug-of-War in BRCA-Mutated Cells.
- Authors: Noordermeer SM, van Attikum H
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- ATR inhibition disrupts rewired homologous recombination and fork protection pathways in PARP inhibitor-resistant BRCA-deficient cancer cells.
- Authors: Yazinski SA, Comaills V, Buisson R, Genois MM, Nguyen HD, Ho CK, Todorova Kwan T, Morris R, Lauffer S, Nussenzweig A, Ramaswamy S, Benes CH, Haber DA, Maheswaran S, Birrer MJ, Zou L
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 1