Final overall survival analysis from a study comparing first-line crizotinib versus chemotherapy in alk-mutation-positive non-small-cell lung cancer.
Blackhall, Fiona H
AffiliationPeter MacCallum Cancer Centre, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia;
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose The phase III PROFILE 1014 trial compared crizotinib with chemotherapy as first-line treatment in patients with anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK) -positive advanced nonsquamous non-small-cell lung cancer. Here, we report the final overall survival (OS) results. Patients and Methods Patients were randomly assigned to receive oral crizotinib 250 mg twice daily (n = 172) or intravenous pemetrexed 500 mg/m2 plus cisplatin 75 mg/m2 or carboplatin (area under the concentration-time curve of 5 to 6 mg·mL/min) every 3 weeks for a maximum of six cycles (n = 171). Crossover to crizotinib was permitted after disease progression. OS was analyzed using a stratified log-rank test and a prespecified rank-preserving structural failure time model to account for crossover. Results Median follow-up duration for OS was approximately 46 months for both arms. In the chemotherapy arm, 144 patients (84.2%) received crizotinib in subsequent lines. Hazard ratio for OS was 0.760 (95% CI, 0.548 to 1.053; two-sided P = .0978). Median OS was not reached (NR) with crizotinib (95% CI, 45.8 months to NR) and 47.5 months with chemotherapy (95% CI, 32.2 months to NR). Survival probability at 4 years was 56.6% (95% CI, 48.3% to 64.1%) with crizotinib and 49.1% (95% CI, 40.5% to 57.1%) with chemotherapy. After crossover adjustment, there was an improvement in OS that favored crizotinib (hazard ratio, 0.346; 95% bootstrap CI, 0.081 to 0.718). The longest OS was observed in crizotinib-treated patients who received a subsequent ALK tyrosine kinase inhibitor. No new safety signals were identified. Conclusion The final analysis of the PROFILE 1014 study provides a new benchmark for OS in patients with ALK-rearranged non-small-cell lung cancer and highlights the benefit of crizotinib for prolonging survival in this patient population.
CitationFinal overall survival analysis from a study comparing first-line crizotinib versus chemotherapy in alk-mutation-positive non-small-cell lung cancer. 2018, J Clin Oncol
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
- First-line crizotinib versus chemotherapy in ALK-positive lung cancer.
- Authors: Solomon BJ, Mok T, Kim DW, Wu YL, Nakagawa K, Mekhail T, Felip E, Cappuzzo F, Paolini J, Usari T, Iyer S, Reisman A, Wilner KD, Tursi J, Blackhall F, PROFILE 1014 Investigators.
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 4
- Ceritinib versus chemotherapy in patients with ALK-rearranged non-small-cell lung cancer previously given chemotherapy and crizotinib (ASCEND-5): a randomised, controlled, open-label, phase 3 trial.
- Authors: Shaw AT, Kim TM, Crinò L, Gridelli C, Kiura K, Liu G, Novello S, Bearz A, Gautschi O, Mok T, Nishio M, Scagliotti G, Spigel DR, Deudon S, Zheng C, Pantano S, Urban P, Massacesi C, Viraswami-Appanna K, Felip E
- Issue date: 2017 Jul
- Intracranial Efficacy of Crizotinib Versus Chemotherapy in Patients With Advanced ALK-Positive Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer: Results From PROFILE 1014.
- Authors: Solomon BJ, Cappuzzo F, Felip E, Blackhall FH, Costa DB, Kim DW, Nakagawa K, Wu YL, Mekhail T, Paolini J, Tursi J, Usari T, Wilner KD, Selaru P, Mok TS
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 20
- Sequential therapy of crizotinib followed by alectinib for non-small cell lung cancer harbouring anaplastic lymphoma kinase rearrangement (WJOG9516L): A multicenter retrospective cohort study.
- Authors: Ito K, Yamanaka T, Hayashi H, Hattori Y, Nishino K, Kobayashi H, Oya Y, Yokoyama T, Seto T, Azuma K, Fukui T, Kozuki T, Nakamura A, Tanaka K, Hirano K, Yokoi T, Daga H, Sakata S, Fujimoto D, Mori M, Maeno K, Aoki T, Tamura A, Miura S, Watanabe S, Akamatsu H, Hataji O, Suzuki K, Hontsu S, Azuma K, Bessho A, Kubo A, Okuno M, Nakagawa K, Yamamoto N
- Issue date: 2021 Mar
- Gefitinib Versus Gefitinib Plus Pemetrexed and Carboplatin Chemotherapy in <i>EGFR</i>-Mutated Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Noronha V, Patil VM, Joshi A, Menon N, Chougule A, Mahajan A, Janu A, Purandare N, Kumar R, More S, Goud S, Kadam N, Daware N, Bhattacharjee A, Shah S, Yadav A, Trivedi V, Behel V, Dutt A, Banavali SD, Prabhash K
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 10