Do marketing and alcohol treatment/public health experts think televised alcohol advertisements abide by regulatory guidelines?
AffiliationThe Christie NHS Foundation Trust, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTelevised alcohol advertisements in the United Kingdom must abide by the Broadcast Committee of Advertising Practice Code, which provides guidelines concerning advertisements not implying, condoning or encouraging immoderate, irresponsible or antisocial drinking. Previously, 75 per cent of 373 general public respondents were shown one of seven advertisements rated a breach of at least one guideline. This study assessed whether experts in marketing ( n = 25) and alcohol treatment/public health ( n = 25) perceived the same seven television alcohol advertisements as complying with the Broadcast Committee of Advertising Practice Code. Overall, 83 per cent of advertisements were rated as breaching at least one guideline. This provides further proof that self-regulatory alcohol guidelines are not fit for purpose.
CitationDo marketing and alcohol treatment/public health experts think televised alcohol advertisements abide by regulatory guidelines? 2018, 1359105318770727 J Health Psychol
JournalJournal of Health Psychology
- Do UK television alcohol advertisements abide by the code of broadcast advertising rules regarding the portrayal of alcohol?
- Authors: Searle R, Alston D, French DP
- Issue date: 2014 Jul-Aug
- Assessment of self-regulatory code violations in Brazilian television beer advertisements.
- Authors: Vendrame A, Pinsky I, e Silva RS, Babor T
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Alcohol marketing in the Americas and Spain during the 2014 FIFA World Cup Tournament.
- Authors: Noel JK, Babor TF, Robaina K, Feulner M, Vendrame A, Monteiro M
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- How effective is the revised regulatory code for alcohol advertising in Australia?
- Authors: Jones SC, Hall D, Munro G
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- Responses to televised alcohol advertisements associated with drinking behaviour of 10-17-year-olds.
- Authors: Wyllie A, Zhang JF, Casswell S
- Issue date: 1998 Mar