A phase I open-label study to identify a dosing regimen of the pan- AKT inhibitor AZD5363 for evaluation in solid tumors and in PIK3CA -mutated breast and gynecologic cancers.
Dean, Emma J
de Bruin, E
AffiliationClinical Pharmacology and Trials, Institute of Cancer Research and The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, London
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose: This phase I, open-label study (Study 1, D3610C00001; NCT01226316) was the first-in-human evaluation of oral AZD5363, a selective pan-AKT inhibitor, in patients with advanced solid malignancies. The objectives were to investigate the safety, tolerability, and pharmacokinetics of AZD5363, define a recommended dosing schedule, and evaluate preliminary clinical activity.Experimental Design: Patients were aged ≥18 years with World Health Organization (WHO) performance status of 0 to 1. Dose escalation was conducted within separate continuous and intermittent [4 days/week (4/7) or 2 days/week (2/7)] schedules with safety, pharmacokinetic, and pharmacodynamic analyses. Expansion cohorts of approximately 20 patients each explored AZD5363 activity in PIK3CA-mutant breast and gynecologic cancers.Results: MTDs were 320, 480, and 640 mg for continuous (n = 47), 4/7 (n = 21), and 2/7 (n = 22) schedules, respectively. Dose-limiting toxicities were rash and diarrhea for continuous, hyperglycemia for 2/7, and none for 4/7. Common adverse events were diarrhea (78%) and nausea (49%) and, for Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events grade ≥3 events, hyperglycemia (20%). The recommended phase II dose (480 mg bid, 4/7 intermittent) was assessed in PIK3CA-mutant breast and gynecologic expansion cohorts: 46% and 56% of patients, respectively, showed a reduction in tumor size, with RECIST responses of 4% and 8%. These responses were less than the prespecified 20% response rate; therefore, the criteria to stop further recruitment to the PIK3CA-mutant cohort were met.Conclusions: At the recommended phase II dose, AZD5363 was well tolerated and achieved plasma levels and robust target modulation in tumors. Proof-of-concept responses were observed in patients with PIK3CA-mutant cancers treated with AZD5363. Clin Cancer Res; 24(9); 2050-9. ©2017 AACRSee related commentary by Costa and Bosch, p. 2029.
CitationA phase I open-label study to identify a dosing regimen of the pan- AKT inhibitor AZD5363 for evaluation in solid tumors and in PIK3CA -mutated breast and gynecologic cancers. 2018, 24(9): 2050-2059 Clin Cancer Res
JournalClinical Cancer Research
- BEECH: a dose-finding run-in followed by a randomised phase II study assessing the efficacy of AKT inhibitor capivasertib (AZD5363) combined with paclitaxel in patients with estrogen receptor-positive advanced or metastatic breast cancer, and in a PIK3CA mutant sub-population.
- Authors: Turner NC, Alarcón E, Armstrong AC, Philco M, López Chuken YA, Sablin MP, Tamura K, Gómez Villanueva A, Pérez-Fidalgo JA, Cheung SYA, Corcoran C, Cullberg M, Davies BR, de Bruin EC, Foxley A, Lindemann JPO, Maudsley R, Moschetta M, Outhwaite E, Pass M, Rugman P, Schiavon G, Oliveira M
- Issue date: 2019 May 1
- Safety and tolerability of AZD5363 in Japanese patients with advanced solid tumors.
- Authors: Tamura K, Hashimoto J, Tanabe Y, Kodaira M, Yonemori K, Seto T, Hirai F, Arita S, Toyokawa G, Chen L, Yamamoto H, Kawata T, Lindemann J, Esaki T
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- AKT Inhibition in Solid Tumors With AKT1 Mutations.
- Authors: Hyman DM, Smyth LM, Donoghue MTA, Westin SN, Bedard PL, Dean EJ, Bando H, El-Khoueiry AB, Pérez-Fidalgo JA, Mita A, Schellens JHM, Chang MT, Reichel JB, Bouvier N, Selcuklu SD, Soumerai TE, Torrisi J, Erinjeri JP, Ambrose H, Barrett JC, Dougherty B, Foxley A, Lindemann JPO, McEwen R, Pass M, Schiavon G, Berger MF, Chandarlapaty S, Solit DB, Banerji U, Baselga J, Taylor BS
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 10
- Phase II trial of AKT inhibitor MK-2206 in patients with advanced breast cancer who have tumors with PIK3CA or AKT mutations, and/or PTEN loss/PTEN mutation.
- Authors: Xing Y, Lin NU, Maurer MA, Chen H, Mahvash A, Sahin A, Akcakanat A, Li Y, Abramson V, Litton J, Chavez-MacGregor M, Valero V, Piha-Paul SA, Hong D, Do KA, Tarco E, Riall D, Eterovic AK, Wulf GM, Cantley LC, Mills GB, Doyle LA, Winer E, Hortobagyi GN, Gonzalez-Angulo AM, Meric-Bernstam F
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 5
- A phase I, open-label, two-stage study to investigate the safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacodynamics of the oral AKT inhibitor GSK2141795 in patients with solid tumors.
- Authors: Aghajanian C, Bell-McGuinn KM, Burris HA 3rd, Siu LL, Stayner LA, Wheler JJ, Hong DS, Kurkjian C, Pant S, Santiago-Walker A, Gauvin JL, Antal JM, Opalinska JB, Morris SR, Infante JR
- Issue date: 2018 Dec