Pir2/Rnf144b is a potential endometrial cancer biomarker that promotes cell proliferation.
AffiliationUniversity of Manchester, Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences, Division of Cancer Sciences, Manchester Cancer Research Centre, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4QL, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEndometrial cancer is one of the most common gynaecological cancers in developed countries. Its incidence has increased 20% over the last decade and the death rate has increased >100% over the past two decades. Current models for prediction of prognosis and treatment response are suboptimal, and as such biomarkers to support clinical decision-making and contribute to individualised treatment are needed. In this study, we show that the E3-ubiquitin ligase PIR2/RNF144B is a potential targetable biomarker in endometrial cancer. At transcript level, it is expressed both in normal endometrium and tumour samples, but at protein level, it is expressed in tumours only. By using endometrial cancer cell lines, we demonstrated that PIR2/RNF144B is stabilised via phosphorylation downstream of GSK3β and this is necessary for the proliferation of endometrial cancer cells, in the absence of oestrogenic growth stimuli. Here, inactivation of GSK3β activity is associated with loss of PIR2/RNF144B protein and consequent inhibition of cell proliferation. Our results, therefore, substantiate PIR2/RNF144B as a novel candidate for targeted therapy in endometrial cancer.
CitationPir2/Rnf144b is a potential endometrial cancer biomarker that promotes cell proliferation. 2018, 9(5): 504 Cell Death Dis
JournalCell Death & Disease
- PIR2/Rnf144B regulates epithelial homeostasis by mediating degradation of p21WAF1 and p63.
- Authors: Conforti F, Yang AL, Piro MC, Mellone M, Terrinoni A, Candi E, Tucci P, Thomas GJ, Knight RA, Melino G, Sayan BS
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Glycogen synthase kinase 3β inhibition as a therapeutic approach in the treatment of endometrial cancer.
- Authors: Yin Y, Kizer NT, Thaker PH, Chiappinelli KB, Trinkaus KM, Goodfellow PJ, Ma L
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 12
- Inhibition of CXCR4 and CXCR7 for reduction of cell proliferation and invasion in human endometrial cancer.
- Authors: Long P, Sun F, Ma Y, Huang Y
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- MicroRNA-93 Promotes Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition of Endometrial Carcinoma Cells.
- Authors: Chen S, Chen X, Sun KX, Xiu YL, Liu BL, Feng MX, Sang XB, Zhao Y
- Issue date: 2016
- ZEB1 expression in type I vs type II endometrial cancers: a marker of aggressive disease.
- Authors: Singh M, Spoelstra NS, Jean A, Howe E, Torkko KC, Clark HR, Darling DS, Shroyer KR, Horwitz KB, Broaddus RR, Richer JK
- Issue date: 2008 Jul