AffiliationCell Signalling Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, The University of Manchester, Alderley Park, SK10 4TG, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRAC1 signalling has been implicated in a variety of dynamic cell biological processes that are orchestrated through regulated localisation and activation of RAC1. As a small GTPase, RAC1 switches between active and inactive states at various subcellular locations that include the plasma membrane, nucleus and mitochondria. Once activated, RAC1 interacts with a range of effectors that then mediate various biological functions. RAC1 is regulated by a large number of proteins that can promote its recruitment, activation, deactivation, or stability. RAC1 and its regulators are subject to various post-translational modifications that further fine tune RAC1 localisation, levels and activity. Developments in technologies have enabled the accurate detection of activated RAC1 during processes such as cell migration, invasion and DNA damage. Here, we highlight recent advances in our understanding of RAC1 regulation and function at specific subcellular sites.
CitationCompartmentalisation of RAC1 signalling. 2018, 54: 50-56 Curr Opin Cell Biol
JournalCurrent Opinion in Cell Biology
- The guanine nucleotide exchange factor Tiam1: a Janus-faced molecule in cellular signaling.
- Authors: Boissier P, Huynh-Do U
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Differential Rac1 signalling by guanine nucleotide exchange factors implicates FLII in regulating Rac1-driven cell migration.
- Authors: Marei H, Carpy A, Woroniuk A, Vennin C, White G, Timpson P, Macek B, Malliri A
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 18
- Proteomic analysis of Rac1 signaling regulation by guanine nucleotide exchange factors.
- Authors: Marei H, Carpy A, Macek B, Malliri A
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 2
- Activated Vav2 modulates cellular invasion through Rac1 and Cdc42 in oral squamous cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Lai SY, Ziober AF, Lee MN, Cohen NA, Falls EM, Ziober BL
- Issue date: 2008 Jul
- GEFs: Dual regulation of Rac1 signaling.
- Authors: Marei H, Malliri A
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 3