Bergamot natural products eradicate cancer stem cells (CSCs) by targeting mevalonate, Rho-GDI-signalling and mitochondrial metabolism.
Di Donna, L
Lisanti, Michael P
AffiliationPaterson Institute, University of Manchester, Withington M20 4BX,
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHere, we show that a 2:1 mixture of Brutieridin and Melitidin, termed "BMF", has a statin-like properties, which blocks the action of the rate-limiting enzyme for mevalonate biosynthesis, namely HMGR (3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA-reductase). Moreover, our results indicate that BMF functionally inhibits several key characteristics of CSCs. More specifically, BMF effectively i) reduced ALDH activity, ii) blocked mammosphere formation and iii) inhibited the activation of CSC-associated signalling pathways (STAT1/3, Notch and Wnt/beta-catenin) targeting Rho-GDI-signalling. In addition, BMF metabolically inhibited mitochondrial respiration (OXPHOS) and fatty acid oxidation (FAO). Importantly, BMF did not show the same toxic side-effects in normal fibroblasts that were observed with statins. Lastly, we show that high expression of the mRNA species encoding HMGR is associated with poor clinical outcome in breast cancer patients, providing a potential companion diagnostic for BMF-directed personalized therapy.
CitationBergamot natural products eradicate cancer stem cells (CSCs) by targeting mevalonate, Rho-GDI-signalling and mitochondrial metabolism. 2018, Biochim Biophys Acta
JournalBiochimica et Biophysica Acta
- Could drugs inhibiting the mevalonate pathway also target cancer stem cells?
- Authors: Likus W, Siemianowicz K, Bieńk K, Pakuła M, Pathak H, Dutta C, Wang Q, Shojaei S, Assaraf YG, Ghavami S, Cieślar-Pobuda A, Łos MJ
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- First-in-class candidate therapeutics that target mitochondria and effectively prevent cancer cell metastasis: mitoriboscins and TPP compounds.
- Authors: Ózsvári B, Sotgia F, Lisanti MP
- Issue date: 2020 May 24
- Aryl hydrocarbon receptor/cytochrome P450 1A1 pathway mediates breast cancer stem cells expansion through PTEN inhibition and β-Catenin and Akt activation.
- Authors: Al-Dhfyan A, Alhoshani A, Korashy HM
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 19
- The effects of statins on the mevalonic acid pathway in recombinant yeast strains expressing human HMG-CoA reductase.
- Authors: Maciejak A, Leszczynska A, Warchol I, Gora M, Kaminska J, Plochocka D, Wysocka-Kapcinska M, Tulacz D, Siedlecka J, Swiezewska E, Sojka M, Danikiewicz W, Odolczyk N, Szkopinska A, Sygitowicz G, Burzynska B
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 30
- Mitochondrial biogenesis is required for the anchorage-independent survival and propagation of stem-like cancer cells.
- Authors: De Luca A, Fiorillo M, Peiris-Pagès M, Ozsvari B, Smith DL, Sanchez-Alvarez R, Martinez-Outschoorn UE, Cappello AR, Pezzi V, Lisanti MP, Sotgia F
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 20