Therapeutic prospects of targeting myeloid-derived suppressor cells and immune checkpoints in cancer.
AffiliationImmunol Cell Biol
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractImmune evasion is a characteristic of most human malignancies and is induced via various mechanisms. Immunosuppressive cells, including myeloid-derived suppressor cells (MDSC) and regulatory T cells (Treg), are key mediators in assisting tumors to escape immune surveillance. Expansion of MDSC, Treg and elevated levels of immune checkpoints (IC) are frequently detected in the tumor microenvironment and periphery of cancer patients. Various therapeutic agents have been shown to target MDSC and to block IC for inducing anti-tumor immunity and reversal of tumor immune escape. Importantly, some recent studies have shown that MDSC targeting improves the efficacy of IC blockade in cancer therapy. However, there is a pressing need to improve our understanding of the distinct role of these cells to develop combination therapy that attacks tumor cells from all frontiers to improve cancer therapeutics. Herein, we discuss the role of MDSC in cancer progression, interactions with IC in the context of anti-cancer immunity and the current therapeutic strategies to target MDSC and block IC in cancer.
CitationTherapeutic prospects of targeting myeloid-derived suppressor cells and immune checkpoints in cancer. 2018, Immunol Cell Biol
JournalImmunology and Cell Biology
- Targeting Myeloid-Derived Suppressor Cells to Bypass Tumor-Induced Immunosuppression.
- Authors: Fleming V, Hu X, Weber R, Nagibin V, Groth C, Altevogt P, Utikal J, Umansky V
- Issue date: 2018
- Targeting myeloid-derived suppressor cells for cancer immunotherapy.
- Authors: Liu Y, Wei G, Cheng WA, Dong Z, Sun H, Lee VY, Cha SC, Smith DL, Kwak LW, Qin H
- Issue date: 2018 Aug
- Prophylactic DNA vaccine targeting Foxp3<sup>+</sup> regulatory T cells depletes myeloid-derived suppressor cells and improves anti-melanoma immune responses in a murine model.
- Authors: Namdar A, Mirzaei R, Memarnejadian A, Boghosian R, Samadi M, Mirzaei HR, Farajifard H, Zavar M, Azadmanesh K, Elahi S, Noorbakhsh F, Rezaei A, Hadjati J
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- Suppression of T cells by myeloid-derived suppressor cells in cancer.
- Authors: Chen J, Ye Y, Liu P, Yu W, Wei F, Li H, Yu J
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Myeloid-derived suppressor cells and T regulatory cells in tumors: unraveling the dark side of the force.
- Authors: Hatziioannou A, Alissafi T, Verginis P
- Issue date: 2017 Aug