AffiliationNational Heart & Lung Institute, Imperial College London, Heart Science Centre, Harefield, Middlesex, UB9 6JH, United Kingdom
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe pathogenesis of pulmonary arterial hypertension remains undefined. Changes in the expression and effects mediated by a number of vasoactive factors have been implicated to play a role in the onset and progression of the disease. The source of many of these mediators, such as nitric oxide (NO), prostacyclin and endothelin-1 (ET-1), is the pulmonary endothelium. This article focus in the role of nitric oxide in PAH, reviewing the evidence for its involvement in regulation of pulmonary a vascular tone under physiological conditions, the mechanisms by which it can contribute to the pathological changes seen in PAH and strategies for the use of NO as a therapy for treatment of the disease.
CitationNitric oxide and pulmonary arterial hypertension. 2017, 2017(2): 14 Glob Cardiol Sci Pract
JournalGlobal Cardiology Science & Practice
- Endothelial cell dysfunction and cross talk between endothelium and smooth muscle cells in pulmonary arterial hypertension.
- Authors: Humbert M, Montani D, Perros F, Dorfmüller P, Adnot S, Eddahibi S
- Issue date: 2008 Oct-Dec
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension in systemic sclerosis: clinical manifestations, pathophysiology, evaluation, and management.
- Authors: Ramirez A, Varga J
- Issue date: 2004
- Aldosterone inactivates the endothelin-B receptor via a cysteinyl thiol redox switch to decrease pulmonary endothelial nitric oxide levels and modulate pulmonary arterial hypertension.
- Authors: Maron BA, Zhang YY, White K, Chan SY, Handy DE, Mahoney CE, Loscalzo J, Leopold JA
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 21
- Inflammatory Mechanisms in the Pathogenesis of Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension: Recent Advances.
- Authors: Mercurio V, Cuomo A, Naranjo M, Hassoun PM
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 1
- Profile of Endothelin-1, Nitric Oxide, and Prostacyclin Levels in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Related to Uncorrected Atrial Septal Defect: Results from a Single Center Study in Indonesia.
- Authors: Dinarti LK, Hartopo AB, Anggrahini DW, Sadewa AH, Setianto BY, Wahab AS
- Issue date: 2020