Mitochondrial fission as a driver of stemness in tumor cells: mDIVI1 inhibits mitochondrial function, cell migration and cancer stem cell (CSC) signalling.
AffiliationClinical and Experimental Pharmacology Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMitochondria are dynamic organelles frequently undergoing fission and fusion events to maintain their integrity, bioenergetics and spatial distribution, which is fundamental to the processes of cell survival. Disruption in mitochondrial dynamics plays a role in cancer. Therefore, proteins involved in regulating mitochondrial dynamics are potential targets for treatment. mDIVI1 is an inhibitor of the mitochondrial fission protein DRP1, which induces i) mitochondrial oxidative stress and ii) effectively reduces mitochondrial metabolism. We show here that mDIVI1 is able to inhibit 3D tumorsphere forming capacity, cell migration and stemness-related signalling in breast cancer cells, indicating that mDIVI1 can potentially be used for the therapeutic elimination of cancer stem cells (CSCs).
CitationMitochondrial fission as a driver of stemness in tumor cells: mDIVI1 inhibits mitochondrial function, cell migration and cancer stem cell (CSC) signalling. 2018, 9(17): 13254-13275 Oncotarget
- Mitochondrial Fission Factor (MFF) Inhibits Mitochondrial Metabolism and Reduces Breast Cancer Stem Cell (CSC) Activity.
- Authors: Sánchez-Alvarez R, De Francesco EM, Fiorillo M, Sotgia F, Lisanti MP
- Issue date: 2020
- Targeting mitochondrial fission as a potential therapeutic for abdominal aortic aneurysm.
- Authors: Cooper HA, Cicalese S, Preston KJ, Kawai T, Okuno K, Choi ET, Kasahara S, Uchida HA, Otaka N, Scalia R, Rizzo V, Eguchi S
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 22
- Inhibition of Mitochondrial Dynamics Preferentially Targets Pancreatic Cancer Cells with Enhanced Tumorigenic and Invasive Potential.
- Authors: Courtois S, de Luxán-Delgado B, Penin-Peyta L, Royo-García A, Parejo-Alonso B, Jagust P, Alcalá S, Rubiolo JA, Sánchez L, Sainz B Jr, Heeschen C, Sancho P
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 9
- Mitochondrial division inhibitor 1 protects against mutant huntingtin-induced abnormal mitochondrial dynamics and neuronal damage in Huntington's disease.
- Authors: Manczak M, Reddy PH
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 20
- Mitochondrial fission - a drug target for cytoprotection or cytodestruction?
- Authors: Rosdah AA, K Holien J, Delbridge LM, Dusting GJ, Lim SY
- Issue date: 2016 Jun