HDAC1 and HDAC2 modulate TGF-β signaling during endothelial-to-hematopoietic transition.
Fadlullah, Muhammad Z H
AffiliationCRUK Stem Cell Biology Group, CRUK Manchester Institute, 555 Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4GJ, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe first hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells are generated during development from hemogenic endothelium (HE) through trans-differentiation. The molecular mechanisms underlying this endothelial-to-hematopoietic transition (EHT) remain poorly understood. Here, we explored the role of the epigenetic regulators HDAC1 and HDAC2 in the emergence of these first blood cells in vitro and in vivo. Loss of either of these epigenetic silencers through conditional genetic deletion reduced hematopoietic transition from HE, while combined deletion was incompatible with blood generation. We investigated the molecular basis of HDAC1 and HDAC2 requirement and identified TGF-β signaling as one of the pathways controlled by HDAC1 and HDAC2. Accordingly, we experimentally demonstrated that activation of this pathway in HE cells reinforces hematopoietic development. Altogether, our results establish that HDAC1 and HDAC2 modulate TGF-β signaling and suggest that stimulation of this pathway in HE cells would be beneficial for production of hematopoietic cells for regenerative therapies.
CitationHDAC1 and HDAC2 modulate TGF-β signaling during endothelial-to-hematopoietic transition. 2018, 10(4): 1369-1383 Stem Cell Rep
JournalStem Cell Reports
- Sin3a-associated Hdac1 and Hdac2 are essential for hematopoietic stem cell homeostasis and contribute differentially to hematopoiesis.
- Authors: Heideman MR, Lancini C, Proost N, Yanover E, Jacobs H, Dannenberg JH
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Histone deacetylase 1 (HDAC1), but not HDAC2, controls embryonic stem cell differentiation.
- Authors: Dovey OM, Foster CT, Cowley SM
- Issue date: 2010 May 4
- Distinct Roles for Intestinal Epithelial Cell-Specific Hdac1 and Hdac2 in the Regulation of Murine Intestinal Homeostasis.
- Authors: Gonneaud A, Turgeon N, Boudreau F, Perreault N, Rivard N, Asselin C
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Overlapping functions of Hdac1 and Hdac2 in cell cycle regulation and haematopoiesis.
- Authors: Wilting RH, Yanover E, Heideman MR, Jacobs H, Horner J, van der Torre J, DePinho RA, Dannenberg JH
- Issue date: 2010 Aug 4
- The acetylome regulators Hdac1 and Hdac2 differently modulate intestinal epithelial cell dependent homeostatic responses in experimental colitis.
- Authors: Turgeon N, Gagné JM, Blais M, Gendron FP, Boudreau F, Asselin C
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 1