Estrogenicity of essential oils is not required to relieve symptoms of urogenital atrophy in breast cancer survivors.
AuthorsSimões, Bruno M
Clarke, Robert B
Armstrong, Anne C
Howell, Sacha J
AffiliationBreast Cancer Now Research Unit, Division of Cancer Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUrogenital atrophy (UA) is a common treatment-limiting side effect of endocrine therapies. Topical estrogen is effective but systemic absorption may counter aromatase inhibitor efficacy. Numerous complementary approaches are marketed for use in UA without rigorous testing of their estrogenicity. We tested multiple essential oils in cancer cell growth and estrogen reporter assays in vitro and assessed clinical outcomes with the essential oil pessaries (EOPs) in breast cancer survivors with UA.
CitationEstrogenicity of essential oils is not required to relieve symptoms of urogenital atrophy in breast cancer survivors. 2018, 10:1758835918766189 Ther Adv Med Oncol
JournalTherapeutic Advances in Medical Oncology
- Effects of estriol on growth, gene expression and estrogen response element activation in human breast cancer cell lines.
- Authors: Diller M, Schüler S, Buchholz S, Lattrich C, Treeck O, Ortmann O
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Determination of the differential estrogenicity of isoflavonoids by E2-ER-ERE-dependent gene expression in recombinant yeast and MCF-7 human breast cancer cells.
- Authors: Lin CC, Tsai YL, Ho CT, Teng SC
- Issue date: 2008 May 15
- Specific in vitro toxicity of crude and refined petroleum products: 3. Estrogenic responses in mammalian assays.
- Authors: Vrabie CM, Candido A, van den Berg H, Murk AJ, van Duursen MB, Jonker MT
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- H-ras dependent estrogenic effects of epidermal growth factor in the estrogen-independent breast cancer cell line MDA-MB-231.
- Authors: Treeck O, Weber A, Boester M, Porz S, Frey N, Diedrich K, Ortmann O
- Issue date: 2003 Jul
- Assessment of methods of detection of water estrogenicity for their use as monitoring tools in a process of estrogenicity removal.
- Authors: Blavier J, Songulashvili G, Simon C, Penninckx M, Flahaut S, Scippo ML, Debaste F
- Issue date: 2016 Dec