The role of steroid hormones in breast and effects on cancer stem cells.
AffiliationBreast Biology Group, Division of Cancer Sciences, School of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Biology, Medicine, and Health, Manchester Cancer Research Centre, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4GJ
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis review will discuss how the steroid hormones, estrogen and progesterone, as well as treatments that target steroid receptors, can regulate cancer stem cell (CSC) activity. The CSC theory proposes a hierarchical organization in tumors where at its apex lies a subpopulation of cancer cells endowed with self-renewal and differentiation capacity.
CitationThe role of steroid hormones in breast and effects on cancer stem cells. 2018, 4 (1):81-94 Curr Stem Cell Rep
JournalCurrent Stem Cell Reports
- The role of steroid hormones in breast cancer stem cells.
- Authors: Simões BM, Alferez DG, Howell SJ, Clarke RB
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Steroid hormones, steroid receptors, and breast cancer stem cells.
- Authors: Finlay-Schultz J, Sartorius CA
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- In vitro and in vivo antiproliferative activity of metformin on stem-like cells isolated from spontaneous canine mammary carcinomas: translational implications for human tumors.
- Authors: Barbieri F, Thellung S, Ratto A, Carra E, Marini V, Fucile C, Bajetto A, Pattarozzi A, Würth R, Gatti M, Campanella C, Vito G, Mattioli F, Pagano A, Daga A, Ferrari A, Florio T
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 7
- Long Non-Coding RNA HOTAIR Regulates the Proliferation, Self-Renewal Capacity, Tumor Formation and Migration of the Cancer Stem-Like Cell (CSC) Subpopulation Enriched from Breast Cancer Cells.
- Authors: Deng J, Yang M, Jiang R, An N, Wang X, Liu B
- Issue date: 2017
- Progesterone generates cancer stem cells through membrane progesterone receptor-triggered signaling in basal-like human mammary cells.
- Authors: Vares G, Sai S, Wang B, Fujimori A, Nenoi M, Nakajima T
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 1