Accuracy of radiotherapy dose calculations based on cone-beam CT: comparison of deformable registration and image correction based methods.
AffiliationThe University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, M20 4BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRadiotherapy dose calculations based on cone-beam CT (CBCT) images can be inaccurate due to unreliable Hounsfield units (HU) in the CBCT. Deformable image registration of planning CT images to CBCT, and direct correction of CBCT image values are two methods proposed to allow heterogeneity corrected dose calculations based on CBCT. In this paper we compare the accuracy and robustness of these two approaches. CBCT images for 44 patients were used including pelvis, lung and head & neck sites. CBCT HU were corrected using a 'shading correction' algorithm and via deformable registration of planning CT to CBCT using either Elastix or Niftyreg. Radiotherapy dose distributions were re-calculated with heterogeneity correction based on the corrected CBCT and several relevant dose metrics for target and OAR volumes were calculated. Accuracy of CBCT based dose metrics was determined using an 'override ratio' method where the ratio of the dose metric to that calculated on a bulk-density assigned version of the same image is assumed to be constant for each patient, allowing comparison to the patient's planning CT as a gold standard. Similar performance is achieved by shading corrected CBCT and both deformable registration algorithms, with mean and standard deviation of dose metric error less than 1% for all sites studied. For lung images, use of deformed CT leads to slightly larger standard deviation of dose metric error than shading corrected CBCT with more dose metric errors greater than 2% observed (7% versus 1%).
CitationAccuracy of radiotherapy dose calculations based on cone-beam CT: comparison of deformable registration and image correction based methods. 2018, 63(6): 065003 Phys Med Biol
JournalPhysics in Medicine and Biology
- Image-domain shading correction for cone-beam CT without prior patient information.
- Authors: Fan Q, Lu B, Park JC, Niu T, Li JG, Liu C, Zhu L
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 8
- Patient-specific calibration of cone-beam computed tomography data sets for radiotherapy dose calculations and treatment plan assessment.
- Authors: MacFarlane M, Wong D, Hoover DA, Wong E, Johnson C, Battista JJ, Chen JZ
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- Toward adaptive radiotherapy for head and neck patients: Feasibility study on using CT-to-CBCT deformable registration for "dose of the day" calculations.
- Authors: Veiga C, McClelland J, Moinuddin S, Lourenço A, Ricketts K, Annkah J, Modat M, Ourselin S, D'Souza D, Royle G
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- An evaluation of techniques for dose calculation on cone beam computed tomography.
- Authors: Giacometti V, King RB, Agnew CE, Irvine DM, Jain S, Hounsell AR, McGarry CK
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Quantifying the accuracy of deformable image registration for cone-beam computed tomography with a physical phantom.
- Authors: Wu RY, Liu AY, Williamson TD, Yang J, Wisdom PG, Zhu XR, Frank SJ, Fuller CD, Gunn GB, Gao S
- Issue date: 2019 Oct