Continuous, comprehensive and crucial care: the role of the CNS in the metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer patient pathway.
AffiliationAdvanced Prostate Cancer Nurse Specialist, University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust, Southampton, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSeveral treatment options are now available to men with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC). While survival rates for mCRPC continue to improve, patients are faced with increasingly complex treatment pathways and decisions. The clinical nurse specialist (CNS) plays a crucial role in navigating patients with mCRPC through their treatment pathway and fulfils a number of key responsibilities, including providing holistic care and support to patients and their families, educating and communicating with them in a timely and effective manner, and liaising with other healthcare professionals to seamlessly coordinate patient treatment. However, increasing patient caseloads and administrative duties are leaving CNSs with little time to fulfil their supportive role. Additional resources are needed in order to both promote and preserve this supportive role, thus ensuring that mCRPC patients receive the best possible care.
CitationContinuous, comprehensive and crucial care: the role of the CNS in the metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer patient pathway. 2018, 27(Sup4b): S1-S8 Br J Nurs
JournalBritish Journal of Nursing
- Navigating Treatment of Metastatic Castration- Resistant Prostate Cancer: Nursing Perspectives.
- Authors: dela Rama F, Pratz C
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Current therapeutic options in metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer.
- Authors: Ingrosso G, Detti B, Scartoni D, Lancia A, Giacomelli I, Baki M, Carta G, Livi L, Santoni R
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Should we involve patients more actively? Perspectives of the multidisciplinary team on shared decision-making for older patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer.
- Authors: de Angst IB, Kil PJM, Bangma CH, Takkenberg JJM
- Issue date: 2019 Jul
- Update on Systemic Prostate Cancer Therapies: Management of Metastatic Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer in the Era of Precision Oncology.
- Authors: Nuhn P, De Bono JS, Fizazi K, Freedland SJ, Grilli M, Kantoff PW, Sonpavde G, Sternberg CN, Yegnasubramanian S, Antonarakis ES
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Health-related quality of life in men with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer.
- Authors: Gee A, Challapalli A, Bahl A
- Issue date: 2015