Brentuximab vedotin prior to allogeneic stem cell transplantation in Hodgkin lymphoma: a report from the EBMT Lymphoma Working Party.
AffiliationDepartment of Internal Medicine, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBrentuximab vedotin (BV) is an anti-CD30 antibody-drug conjugate. Preliminary data suggest that BV might improve outcomes after allogeneic stem cell transplantation (SCT) for Hodgkin lymphoma (HL) when used as pre-transplant salvage therapy. Between 2010 and 2014, 428 adult patients underwent an allogeneic SCT for classical HL at participating centres of the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation. We compared the outcomes of 210 patients who received BV prior to allogeneic SCT with that of 218 patients who did not receive BV. The median follow-up for survivors was 41 months. Patients in the BV group were more heavily pre-treated (median pre-allograft treatment lines: 4 vs. 3). The two groups were comparable in terms of disease status, performance status, comorbidities, prior autologous SCT, type of donor, conditioning and in vivo T cell depletion. In multivariate analysis, pre-allograft BV had no impact on acute graft-versus-host disease (GVHD), non-relapse mortality, cumulative incidence of relapse, progression-free survival or overall survival (OS), but significantly reduced the risk of chronic GVHD (hazard ratio = 0·64; 95% confidence interval = 0·45-0·92; P < 0·02). Older age, poor performance status, use of pre-transplant radiotherapy and active disease at SCT adversely affected OS. Patients allografted for HL after prior exposure to BV do not have a superior outcome after allogeneic SCT except for a lower risk of chronic GVHD. However, BV may improve the outlook of allogeneic SCT by helping otherwise refractory patients to achieve a more favourable disease status, facilitating allotransplant success.
CitationBrentuximab vedotin prior to allogeneic stem cell transplantation in Hodgkin lymphoma: a report from the EBMT Lymphoma Working Party. 2018, 181(1): 86-96 Br J Haematol
JournalBritish Journal of Haematology
- Brentuximab vedotin for recurrent Hodgkin lymphoma after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: A report from the EBMT Lymphoma Working Party.
- Authors: Bazarbachi A, Boumendil A, Finel H, Mohty M, Castagna L, Blaise D, Peggs KS, Afanasyev B, Diez-Martin JL, Corradini P, Michonneau D, Robinson S, Gutiérrez García G, Bonifazi F, Yakoub-Agha I, Gülbas Z, Bloor A, Delage J, Esquirol A, Malladi R, Scheid C, El-Cheikh J, Ghesquières H, Montoto S, Dreger P, Sureda A
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 1
- Brentuximab vedotin prior to allogeneic stem cell transplantation increases survival in chemorefractory Hodgkin's lymphoma patients.
- Authors: Gaudio F, Mazza P, Mele A, Palazzo G, Carella AM, Delia M, Pisapia G, Pastore D, Cascavilla N, Pavone V, Specchia G
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- Use of brentuximab vedotin as salvage therapy pre-allogeneic stem cell transplantation in relapsed/refractory CD30 positive lympho-proliferative disorders: a single centre experience.
- Authors: Mediwake H, Morris K, Curley C, Butler J, Kennedy G
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Brentuximab vedotin followed by allogeneic transplantation as salvage regimen in patients with relapsed and/or refractory Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Garciaz S, Coso D, Peyrade F, Fürst S, Duran S, Chetaille B, Brenot-Rossi I, Devillier R, Granata A, Blaise D, Bouabdallah R
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Brentuximab vedotin in combination with or without donor lymphocyte infusion for patients with Hodgkin lymphoma after allogeneic stem cell transplantation.
- Authors: Tsirigotis P, Danylesko I, Gkirkas K, Shem-Tov N, Yerushalmi R, Stamouli M, Avigdor A, Spyridonidis A, Gauthier J, Goldstein G, Apostolidis J, Mohty M, Shimoni A, Nagler A
- Issue date: 2016 Oct