de Caestecker, J
AffiliationDivision of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThese are updated guidelines which supersede the original version published in 2004. This work has been endorsed by the Clinical Services and Standards Committee of the British Society of Gastroenterology (BSG) under the auspices of the oesophageal section of the BSG. The original guidelines have undergone extensive revision by the 16 members of the Guideline Development Group with representation from individuals across all relevant disciplines, including the Heartburn Cancer UK charity, a nursing representative and a patient representative. The methodological rigour and transparency of the guideline development processes were appraised using the revised Appraisal of Guidelines for Research and Evaluation (AGREE II) tool.Dilatation of the oesophagus is a relatively high-risk intervention, and is required by an increasing range of disease states. Moreover, there is scarcity of evidence in the literature to guide clinicians on how to safely perform this procedure. These guidelines deal specifically with the dilatation procedure using balloon or bougie devices as a primary treatment strategy for non-malignant narrowing of the oesophagus. The use of stents is outside the remit of this paper; however, for cases of dilatation failure, alternative techniques-including stents-will be listed. The guideline is divided into the following subheadings: (1) patient preparation; (2) the dilatation procedure; (3) aftercare and (4) disease-specific considerations. A systematic literature search was performed. The Grading of Recommendations Assessment, Develop-ment and Evaluation (GRADE) tool was used to evaluate the quality of evidence and decide on the strength of recommendations made.
CitationUK guidelines on oesophageal dilatation in clinical practice. 2018, Gut
- British Society of Gastroenterology guidelines for oesophageal manometry and oesophageal reflux monitoring.
- Authors: Trudgill NJ, Sifrim D, Sweis R, Fullard M, Basu K, McCord M, Booth M, Hayman J, Boeckxstaens G, Johnston BT, Ager N, De Caestecker J
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- Balloon dilatation in children for oesophageal strictures other than those due to primary repair of oesophageal atresia, interposition or restrictive fundoplication.
- Authors: Fasulakis S, Andronikou S
- Issue date: 2003 Oct
- Reflux strictures of the oesophagus in children: personal experience with preoperative dilatation followed by anterior funduplication.
- Authors: Briganti V, Oriolo L, Calisti A
- Issue date: 2003 Sep
- Balloon dilatation in esophageal strictures in epidermolysis bullosa and the role of anesthesia.
- Authors: Gollu G, Ergun E, Ates U, Can OS, Dindar H
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 1
- A review of the practice of fibreoptic endoscopic dilatation of oesophageal stricture.
- Authors: Anderson PE, Cook A, Amery AH
- Issue date: 1989 Mar