Variability of nutritional practices in peritransplant period after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: a survey by the Complications and Quality of Life Working Party of the EBMT.
van der Werf, S
van Biezen, A
AffiliationDepartment of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRecommendations on screening and nutritional support for patients undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) have been presented by international nutritional societies, but nutritional practices remain poorly standardized. Following the general policy of the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (EBMT) to standardize transplantation procedures, the Complications and Quality of Life Working Party and Nursing Research Group carried out a survey among all EBMT centers about their current nutritional practices. The aim of this study was to better understand current practices, differences from available guidelines, and possible barriers for recommended nutritional therapy. Responses from 90 centers (19%) from 23 countries were received. We observed a marked variability in nutritional care between EBMT centers and a substantial lack of standardized operating procedures in screening patients for malnutrition and management of gastrointestinal GVHD. Furthermore, our study confirmed neutropenic diet as standard of care in most centers as well a preference for parenteral nutritional support over enteral. On the basis of these findings, future EBMT efforts will focus on better implementation of international nutritional guidelines into clinical practice.
CitationVariability of nutritional practices in peritransplant period after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: a survey by the Complications and Quality of Life Working Party of the EBMT. 2018, Bone Marrow Transplant
JournalBone Marrow Transplantation
- Nutritional support practices in hematopoietic stem cell transplantation centers: A nationwide comparison.
- Authors: Baumgartner A, Bargetzi M, Bargetzi A, Zueger N, Medinger M, Passweg J, Schanz U, Samaras P, Chalandon Y, Pichard C, Limonta A, Wannesson L, Pabst T, Duchosal MA, Hess U, Stanga Z, Mueller B, Schuetz P
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Current Practice in Vitamin D Management in Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation: A Survey by the Transplant Complications Working Party of the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation.
- Authors: Ros-Soto J, Snowden JA, Salooja N, Gilleece M, Parker A, Greenfield DM, Anthias C, Alfred A, Harrington A, Peczynski C, Peggs K, Madrigal A, Basak GW, Schoemans H, Transplant Complications Working Party of the EBMT.
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- Use of busulfan in conditioning for allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in adults: a survey by the Transplant Complications Working Party of the EBMT.
- Authors: Ruutu T, van der Werf S, van Biezen A, Backman JT, Peczynski C, Kröger N, Mohty M, Nagler A, Montoto S, Langebrake C, Niederwieser D, Peric Z, Koenecke C, Duarte RF, Basak G
- Issue date: 2019 Dec
- Relatively favorable outcome after allogeneic stem cell transplantation for BCR-ABL1-positive AML: A survey from the acute leukemia working party of the European Society for blood and marrow transplantation (EBMT).
- Authors: Lazarevic VL, Labopin M, Depei W, Yakoub-Agha I, Huynh A, Ljungman P, Schaap N, Cornelissen JJ, Maillard N, Pioltelli P, Gedde-Dahl T, Lenhoff S, Houhou M, Esteve J, Mohty M, Nagler A
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Prophylaxis and treatment of GVHD after allogeneic haematopoietic SCT: a survey of centre strategies by the European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation.
- Authors: Ruutu T, van Biezen A, Hertenstein B, Henseler A, Garderet L, Passweg J, Mohty M, Sureda A, Niederwieser D, Gratwohl A, de Witte T
- Issue date: 2012 Nov