Current and future therapeutic approaches for the treatment of small cell lung cancer.
AffiliationDivision of Medical Oncology, Scientific Institute for Research and Health Care (IRCCS) 'Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza', San Giovanni Rotondo, Italy
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSmall-cell lung cancer (SCLC) is a very aggressive disease characterized by a high response rate to first-line chemotherapy, but most patients relapse within 1 year with disappointing results to second-line treatments. Chemotherapy has reached a plateau of effectiveness and new therapeutic strategies are needed to change the natural history of SCLC. Areas covered: This review will focus on the current results and the future development of the therapeutic approaches for the treatment of SCLC. Expert commentary: Immunotherapy is becoming a new frontier for the management of SCLC with preliminary interesting results. To date, no targeted drugs have been approved for clinical practice but several novel agents are in an advanced stage of clinical development in SCLC.
CitationCurrent and future therapeutic approaches for the treatment of small cell lung cancer. 2018, 18(5): 473-486 Expert Rev Anticancer Ther
JournalExpert Review of Anticancer Therapy
- Immunotherapy for small-cell lung cancer: emerging evidence.
- Authors: Reck M, Heigener D, Reinmuth N
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- The evolving landscape of immunotherapy in small-cell lung cancer: A focus on predictive biomarkers.
- Authors: Gelsomino F, Lamberti G, Parisi C, Casolari L, Melotti B, Sperandi F, Ardizzoni A
- Issue date: 2019 Sep
- Second-line treatments of small-cell lung cancers.
- Authors: Baize N, Monnet I, Greillier L, Quere G, Kerjouan M, Janicot H, Vergnenegre A, Auliac JB, Chouaid C
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Novel targeted strategies to overcome resistance in small-cell lung cancer: focus on PARP inhibitors and rovalpituzumab tesirine.
- Authors: Van Den Borg R, Leonetti A, Tiseo M, Giovannetti E, Peters GJ
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- The role of immunotherapy in small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Calles A, Aguado G, Sandoval C, Álvarez R
- Issue date: 2019 Aug