Current and future therapeutic approaches for the treatment of small cell lung cancer.
AffiliationDivision of Medical Oncology, Scientific Institute for Research and Health Care (IRCCS) 'Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza', San Giovanni Rotondo, Italy
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSmall-cell lung cancer (SCLC) is a very aggressive disease characterized by a high response rate to first-line chemotherapy, but most patients relapse within 1 year with disappointing results to second-line treatments. Chemotherapy has reached a plateau of effectiveness and new therapeutic strategies are needed to change the natural history of SCLC. Areas covered: This review will focus on the current results and the future development of the therapeutic approaches for the treatment of SCLC. Expert commentary: Immunotherapy is becoming a new frontier for the management of SCLC with preliminary interesting results. To date, no targeted drugs have been approved for clinical practice but several novel agents are in an advanced stage of clinical development in SCLC.
CitationCurrent and future therapeutic approaches for the treatment of small cell lung cancer. 2018, 18(5): 473-486 Expert Rev Anticancer Ther
JournalExpert Review of Anticancer Therapy
- Immunotherapy for small-cell lung cancer: emerging evidence.
- Authors: Reck M, Heigener D, Reinmuth N
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Second-line treatments of small-cell lung cancers.
- Authors: Baize N, Monnet I, Greillier L, Quere G, Kerjouan M, Janicot H, Vergnenegre A, Auliac JB, Chouaid C
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- The Future of Immunotherapy in the Treatment of Small Cell Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Horn L, Reck M, Spigel DR
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Optimal drugs for second-line treatment of patients with small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Rossi A, Sacco PC, Sgambato A, Casaluce F, Santabarbara G, Palazzolo G, Maione P, Gridelli C
- Issue date: 2016
- PD-1 checkpoint blockade alone or combined PD-1 and CTLA-4 blockade as immunotherapy for lung cancer?
- Authors: Tanvetyanon T, Gray JE, Antonia SJ
- Issue date: 2017 Mar