Hypoxia gene expression signatures as predictive biomarkers for personalising radiotherapy.
AffiliationTranslational Radiobiology Group, Division of Cancer Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, Christie Hospital NHS Foundation Trust , Manchester , UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHypoxia is a generic micro-environmental factor of solid tumours. High levels of hypoxia lead to resistance to radiotherapy, which can be targeted by adding hypoxia-modifying therapy to improve clinical outcomes. Not all patients benefit from hypoxia-modifying therapy, and there is a need for biomarkers to enable progression to biologically personalised radiotherapy. Gene expression signatures are a relatively new category of biomarkers that can reflect tumour hypoxia. This article reviews the published hypoxia gene signatures, summarising their development and validation. The challenges of gene signature derivation and development, and advantages and disadvantages in comparison with other hypoxia biomarkers are also discussed. Current evidence supports investment in gene signatures as a promising hypoxia biomarker approach for clinical utility.
CitationHypoxia gene expression signatures as predictive biomarkers for personalising radiotherapy. 2018, Br J Radiol
JournalThe British Journal of Radiology
- Gene Expression Signatures as Biomarkers of Tumour Hypoxia.
- Authors: Harris BH, Barberis A, West CM, Buffa FM
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- Impact of supervised gene signatures of early hypoxia on patient survival.
- Authors: Seigneuric R, Starmans MH, Fung G, Krishnapuram B, Nuyten DS, van Erk A, Magagnin MG, Rouschop KM, Krishnan S, Rao RB, Evelo CT, Begg AC, Wouters BG, Lambin P
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- HPV status, cancer stem cell marker expression, hypoxia gene signatures and tumour volume identify good prognosis subgroups in patients with HNSCC after primary radiochemotherapy: A multicentre retrospective study of the German Cancer Consortium Radiation Oncology Group (DKTK-ROG).
- Authors: Linge A, Lohaus F, Löck S, Nowak A, Gudziol V, Valentini C, von Neubeck C, Jütz M, Tinhofer I, Budach V, Sak A, Stuschke M, Balermpas P, Rödel C, Grosu AL, Abdollahi A, Debus J, Ganswindt U, Belka C, Pigorsch S, Combs SE, Mönnich D, Zips D, Buchholz F, Aust DE, Baretton GB, Thames HD, Dubrovska A, Alsner J, Overgaard J, Krause M, Baumann M, DKTK-ROG.
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Biomarkers of Tumour Radiosensitivity and Predicting Benefit from Radiotherapy.
- Authors: Forker LJ, Choudhury A, Kiltie AE
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- Societal challenges of precision medicine: Bringing order to chaos.
- Authors: Salgado R, Moore H, Martens JWM, Lively T, Malik S, McDermott U, Michiels S, Moscow JA, Tejpar S, McKee T, Lacombe D, IBCD-Faculty.
- Issue date: 2017 Oct