Hypoxia gene expression signatures as predictive biomarkers for personalising radiotherapy.
AffiliationTranslational Radiobiology Group, Division of Cancer Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, Christie Hospital NHS Foundation Trust , Manchester , UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHypoxia is a generic micro-environmental factor of solid tumours. High levels of hypoxia lead to resistance to radiotherapy, which can be targeted by adding hypoxia-modifying therapy to improve clinical outcomes. Not all patients benefit from hypoxia-modifying therapy, and there is a need for biomarkers to enable progression to biologically personalised radiotherapy. Gene expression signatures are a relatively new category of biomarkers that can reflect tumour hypoxia. This article reviews the published hypoxia gene signatures, summarising their development and validation. The challenges of gene signature derivation and development, and advantages and disadvantages in comparison with other hypoxia biomarkers are also discussed. Current evidence supports investment in gene signatures as a promising hypoxia biomarker approach for clinical utility.
CitationHypoxia gene expression signatures as predictive biomarkers for personalising radiotherapy. 2018, Br J Radiol
JournalThe British Journal of Radiology
- Gene Expression Signatures as Biomarkers of Tumour Hypoxia.
- Authors: Harris BH, Barberis A, West CM, Buffa FM
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- Impact of supervised gene signatures of early hypoxia on patient survival.
- Authors: Seigneuric R, Starmans MH, Fung G, Krishnapuram B, Nuyten DS, van Erk A, Magagnin MG, Rouschop KM, Krishnan S, Rao RB, Evelo CT, Begg AC, Wouters BG, Lambin P
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- Gene Expression Signatures Predictive of Bevacizumab/Erlotinib Therapeutic Benefit in Advanced Nonsquamous Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Patients (SAKK 19/05 trial).
- Authors: Franzini A, Baty F, Macovei II, Dürr O, Droege C, Betticher D, Grigoriu BD, Klingbiel D, Zappa F, Brutsche MH
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 1
- Hypoxia gene expression signatures as prognostic and predictive markers in head and neck radiotherapy.
- Authors: Toustrup K, Sørensen BS, Alsner J, Overgaard J
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Gene expression and hypoxia in breast cancer.
- Authors: Favaro E, Lord S, Harris AL, Buffa FM
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 26