Randomised feasibility study to compare the use of Therabite® with wooden spatulas to relieve and prevent trismus in patients with cancer of the head and neck.
Ryder, W David J
Slevin, Nicholas J
AffiliationThe Christie, Research and Development, Manchester, United Kingdom
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOur aim was to compare the efficacy of the Therabite®jaw motion rehabilitation system (Atos Medical) with that of wooden spatulas to relieve and prevent trismus in patients who have had radiotherapy for stage three and four oral and oropharyngeal cancer. Secondary aims were to assess the feasibility and the impact of exercise on health-related quality of life (QoL), and the use of health services after treatment. We designed a randomised, open-label, controlled, three-centre feasibility study to compare the effectiveness and cost of the Therabite®and wooden spatulas. We studied compliance with exercises and health-related QoL, assessed cost using three health economics measures, and conducted semistructured interviews with patients. Patients were randomised into two groups: the Therabite®group (n=37) and the wooden spatula group (n=34). All patients had some sense of jaw tightening before the study started. Mean mouth opening after six months increased in both groups, but the difference between the groups was not significant (p=0.39). Completion rates for the three economic measures were good. There was no significant difference between the two groups in frequency of contact with care services or in QoL. Exercises during and after radiotherapy can ameliorate trismus in patients with stage three and four oral and oropharygeal cancers, but differences between groups in efficacy, compliance, QoL, or use of hospital or community health services, were not significant.
CitationRandomised feasibility study to compare the use of Therabite® with wooden spatulas to relieve and prevent trismus in patients with cancer of the head and neck. 2018, Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg
JournalThe British Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Protocol for the trismus trial-therabite versus wooden spatula in the amelioration of trismus in patients with head and neck cancer: randomised pilot study.
- Authors: Lee R, Molassiotis A, Rogers SN, Edwards RT, Ryder D, Slevin N
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 30
- The use of stretching devices for treatment of trismus in head and neck cancer patients: a randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: van der Geer SJ, Reintsema H, Kamstra JI, Roodenburg JLN, Dijkstra PU
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- Treating trismus: A prospective study on effect and compliance to jaw exercise therapy in head and neck cancer.
- Authors: Pauli N, Andréll P, Johansson M, Fagerberg-Mohlin B, Finizia C
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Exercise adherence in patients with trismus due to head and neck oncology: a qualitative study into the use of the Therabite.
- Authors: Melchers LJ, Van Weert E, Beurskens CH, Reintsema H, Slagter AP, Roodenburg JL, Dijkstra PU
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Impact of exercise with TheraBite device on trismus and health-related quality of life: A prospective study.
- Authors: Montalvo C, Finizia C, Pauli N, Fagerberg-Mohlin B, Andréll P
- Issue date: 2017 Jan