AuthorsMackay, Ranald I
AffiliationManchester Academic Health Science Centre, Institute of Cancer Sciences, Manchester Cancer Research Centre (MCRC), The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractImage-guided radiotherapy has an established role in all forms of radiotherapy treatment delivery. Proton therapy seeks to deliver superior dose distributions through utilising the Bragg peak to target tumour and avoid sensitive normal tissue. The Bragg peak and sharp falloff in dose delivered by proton therapy necessitate careful treatment planning and treatment delivery. The dose distribution delivered by proton therapy is particularly sensitive to uncertainty in the prediction of proton range during treatment planning and deviations from the planned delivery during the course of the fractionated treatment. Realising the superior dose distribution of proton therapy requires increased diligence and image guidance has a key role in ensuring that treatments are planned and delivered. This article will outline the current status of image guidance for proton therapy, particularly highlighting differences with regard to high-energy X-ray therapy, and will look at a number of future improvements in image-guided proton therapy.
CitationImage guidance for proton therapy. 2018, 30(5): 293-298 Clin Oncol
- A pencil beam algorithm for magnetic resonance image-guided proton therapy.
- Authors: Padilla-Cabal F, Georg D, Fuchs H
- Issue date: 2018 May
- Imaging issues specific to hadrontherapy (proton, carbon, helium therapy and other charged particles) for radiotherapy planning, setup, dose monitoring and tissue response assessment.
- Authors: Thariat J, Hérault J, Beddok A, Feuvret L, Dauvergne D, Gérard M, Balosso J, Noël G, Valable S
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- [Robust treatment planning in proton therapy].
- Authors: Sterpin E, Barragan A, Souris K, Lee JA
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Positioning accuracy and daily dose assessment for prostate cancer treatment using in-room CT image guidance at a proton therapy facility.
- Authors: Maeda Y, Sato Y, Minami H, Yasukawa Y, Yamamoto K, Tamamura H, Shibata S, Bou S, Sasaki M, Tameshige Y, Kume K, Ooto H, Kasahara S, Shimizu Y, Saga Y, Omoya A, Saitou M
- Issue date: 2018 May
- Evaluation of different fiducial markers for image-guided radiotherapy and particle therapy.
- Authors: Habermehl D, Henkner K, Ecker S, Jäkel O, Debus J, Combs SE
- Issue date: 2013 Jul