The multiple myeloma treatment landscape: international guideline recommendations and clinical practice in Europe.
Affiliation'Seragnoli' Institute of Hematology and Medical Oncology , Bologna University School of Medicine , Bologna , Italy
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGuidelines provide recommendations on the management of multiple myeloma (MM), but there are no standard algorithms for the choice and sequencing of treatments. As a result, there is widespread variation in the interpretation and implementation of these guidelines. Areas covered: This review will cover: the real-world data on MM treatment patterns; the approved agents available for the treatment of MM; a comparative summary of the national and international clinical guidelines; a discussion on the impact reimbursement decisions have on treatment availability. Expert commentary: In the future, treatment choices may become even more complex as clonal heterogeneity is better understood in the context of response to treatment, and next-generation agents become available. Although information on real-world practice patterns can provide further guidance, to date, few studies have generated data on patients treated with the newer agents in real-world settings. Furthermore, the translation of guideline recommendations into clinical practice across Europe is inconsistent. Additional real-world data are therefore vital to understanding current clinical practice patterns, so that new agents can be effectively incorporated into existing treatment strategies. Such information may aid the development of better guidance, which will ultimately help to ensure that patients receive the best possible care.
CitationThe multiple myeloma treatment landscape: international guideline recommendations and clinical practice in Europe. 2018, 11(3):219-237 Expert Rev Hematol
JournalExpert Review of Hematology
- Multiple myeloma: practice patterns across Europe.
- Authors: Raab MS, Cavo M, Delforge M, Driessen C, Fink L, Flinois A, Gonzalez-McQuire S, Safaei R, Karlin L, Mateos MV, Schoen P, Yong K
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Utilizing next-generation sequencing in the management of multiple myeloma.
- Authors: Lionetti M, Neri A
- Issue date: 2017 Jul
- Identifying professional education gaps and barriers in multiple myeloma patient care: findings of the Managing Myeloma Continuing Educational Initiative Advisory Committee.
- Authors: Raje N, Faiman B, Harvey RD, Kurtin SE, Lonial S, Kumar SK, Cohen AD, Conde MA, Giralt SA, Recine MS, Tombler ER, Stadtmauer E, Jagannath S, Anderson KC, Managing Myeloma Continuing Education Initiative Advisory Group.
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Current trends in multiple myeloma management.
- Authors: Redzepovic J, Weinmann G, Ott I, Gust R
- Issue date: 2008 May-Jun
- Multiple myeloma: patient outcomes in real-world practice.
- Authors: Yong K, Delforge M, Driessen C, Fink L, Flinois A, Gonzalez-McQuire S, Safaei R, Karlin L, Mateos MV, Raab MS, Schoen P, Cavo M
- Issue date: 2016 Oct