Implementing lung cancer screening: baseline results from a community-based 'Lung Health Check' pilot in deprived areas of Manchester.
AffiliationManchester Thoracic Oncology Centre, Wythenshawe Hospital, Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report baseline results of a community-based, targeted, low-dose CT (LDCT) lung cancer screening pilot in deprived areas of Manchester. Ever smokers, aged 55-74 years, were invited to 'lung health checks' (LHCs) next to local shopping centres, with immediate access to LDCT for those at high risk (6-year risk ≥1.51%, PLCOM2012calculator). 75% of attendees (n=1893/2541) were ranked in the lowest deprivation quintile; 56% were high risk and of 1384 individuals screened, 3% (95% CI 2.3% to 4.1%) had lung cancer (80% early stage) of whom 65% had surgical resection. Taking lung cancer screening into communities, with an LHC approach, is effective and engages populations in deprived areas.
CitationImplementing lung cancer screening: baseline results from a community-based 'Lung Health Check' pilot in deprived areas of Manchester. 2018, Thorax
- Attending community-based lung cancer screening influences smoking behaviour in deprived populations.
- Authors: Balata H, Traverse-Healy L, Blandin-Knight S, Armitage C, Barber P, Colligan D, Elton P, Kirwan M, Lyons J, McWilliams L, Novasio J, Sharman A, Slevin K, Taylor S, Tonge J, Waplington S, Yorke J, Evison M, Booton R, Crosbie PAJ
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- Attendees of Manchester's Lung Health Check pilot express a preference for community-based lung cancer screening.
- Authors: Balata H, Tonge J, Barber PV, Colligan D, Elton P, Evison M, Kirwan M, Novasio J, Sharman A, Slevin K, Taylor S, Waplington S, Booton R, Crosbie PA
- Issue date: 2019 Dec
- The cost-effectiveness of the Manchester 'lung health checks', a community-based lung cancer low-dose CT screening pilot.
- Authors: Hinde S, Crilly T, Balata H, Bartlett R, Crilly J, Barber P, Threlfall A, Tonge J, Booton R, Crosbie PA
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Second round results from the Manchester 'Lung Health Check' community-based targeted lung cancer screening pilot.
- Authors: Crosbie PA, Balata H, Evison M, Atack M, Bayliss-Brideaux V, Colligan D, Duerden R, Eaglesfield J, Edwards T, Elton P, Foster J, Greaves M, Hayler G, Higgins C, Howells J, Irion K, Karunaratne D, Kelly J, King Z, Lyons J, Manson S, Mellor S, Miller D, Myerscough A, Newton T, O'Leary M, Pearson R, Pickford J, Sawyer R, Screaton NJ, Sharman A, Simmons M, Smith E, Taylor B, Taylor S, Walsham A, Watts A, Whittaker J, Yarnell L, Threlfall A, Barber PV, Tonge J, Booton R
- Issue date: 2019 Jul
- Analysis of lung cancer risk model (PLCO<sub>M2012</sub> and LLP<sub>v2</sub>) performance in a community-based lung cancer screening programme.
- Authors: Lebrett MB, Balata H, Evison M, Colligan D, Duerden R, Elton P, Greaves M, Howells J, Irion K, Karunaratne D, Lyons J, Mellor S, Myerscough A, Newton T, Sharman A, Smith E, Taylor B, Taylor S, Walsham A, Whittaker J, Barber PV, Tonge J, Robbins HA, Booton R, Crosbie PAJ
- Issue date: 2020 Aug