Implementing lung cancer screening: baseline results from a community-based 'Lung Health Check' pilot in deprived areas of Manchester.
AffiliationManchester Thoracic Oncology Centre, Wythenshawe Hospital, Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report baseline results of a community-based, targeted, low-dose CT (LDCT) lung cancer screening pilot in deprived areas of Manchester. Ever smokers, aged 55-74 years, were invited to 'lung health checks' (LHCs) next to local shopping centres, with immediate access to LDCT for those at high risk (6-year risk ≥1.51%, PLCOM2012calculator). 75% of attendees (n=1893/2541) were ranked in the lowest deprivation quintile; 56% were high risk and of 1384 individuals screened, 3% (95% CI 2.3% to 4.1%) had lung cancer (80% early stage) of whom 65% had surgical resection. Taking lung cancer screening into communities, with an LHC approach, is effective and engages populations in deprived areas.
CitationImplementing lung cancer screening: baseline results from a community-based 'Lung Health Check' pilot in deprived areas of Manchester. 2018, Thorax
- The cost-effectiveness of the Manchester 'lung health checks', a community-based lung cancer low-dose CT screening pilot.
- Authors: Hinde S, Crilly T, Balata H, Bartlett R, Crilly J, Barber P, Threlfall A, Tonge J, Booton R, Crosbie PA
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Targeted lung cancer screening selects individuals at high risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Authors: Balata H, Blandin Knight S, Barber P, Colligan D, Crosbie EJ, Duerden R, Elton P, Evison M, Greaves M, Howells J, Irion K, Karunaratne D, Kirwan M, Macnab A, Mellor S, Miller C, Newton T, Novasio J, Sawyer R, Sharman A, Slevin K, Smith E, Taylor B, Taylor S, Tonge J, Walsham A, Waplington S, Whittaker J, Booton R, Crosbie PAJ
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Preliminary Results of Lung Cancer Screening in a Socioeconomically Disadvantaged Population.
- Authors: Guichet PL, Liu BY, Desai B, Surani Z, Cen SY, Lee C
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- The UK Lung Cancer Screening Trial: a pilot randomised controlled trial of low-dose computed tomography screening for the early detection of lung cancer.
- Authors: Field JK, Duffy SW, Baldwin DR, Brain KE, Devaraj A, Eisen T, Green BA, Holemans JA, Kavanagh T, Kerr KM, Ledson M, Lifford KJ, McRonald FE, Nair A, Page RD, Parmar MK, Rintoul RC, Screaton N, Wald NJ, Weller D, Whynes DK, Williamson PR, Yadegarfar G, Hansell DM
- Issue date: 2016 May
- The Lung Screen Uptake Trial (LSUT): protocol for a randomised controlled demonstration lung cancer screening pilot testing a targeted invitation strategy for high risk and 'hard-to-reach' patients.
- Authors: Quaife SL, Ruparel M, Beeken RJ, McEwen A, Isitt J, Nolan G, Sennett K, Baldwin DR, Duffy SW, Janes SM, Wardle J
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 20