Effective treatment of steroid and therapy-refractory acute graft-versus-host disease with a novel mesenchymal stromal cell product (MSC-FFM).
von Luettichau, I
AffiliationDepartment for Children and Adolescents, Division for Stem Cell Transplantation and Immunology, University Hospital Frankfurt, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe inability to generate mesenchymal stromal cells (MSCs) of consistent potency likely is responsible for inconsistent clinical outcomes of patients with aGvHD receiving MSC products. We developed a novel MSC manufacturing protocol characterized by high in vitro potency and near-identity of individual doses, referred to as "MSC-Frankfurt am Main (MSC-FFM)". Herein, we report outcomes of the 69 patients who have received MSC-FFM. These were 51 children and 18 adults with refractory aGvHD grade II (4%), III (36%) or IV (59%). Patients were refractory either to frontline therapy (steroids) (29%) or to steroids and 1-5 additional lines of immunosuppressants (71%) were given infusions in four weekly intervals. The day 28 overall response rate was 83%; at the last follow-up, 61% and 25% of patients were in complete or partial remission. The median follow-up was 8.1 months. Six-month estimate for cumulative incidence of non-relapse mortality was 27% (range, 16-38); leukemia relapse mortality was 2% (range, 0-5). This was associated with a superior six-month overall survival (OS) probability rate of 71% (range, 61-83), compared to the outcome of patients not treated with MSC-FFM. This novel product was effective in children and adults, suggesting that MSC-FFM represents a promising therapy for steroid refractory aGvHD.
CitationEffective treatment of steroid and therapy-refractory acute graft-versus-host disease with a novel mesenchymal stromal cell product (MSC-FFM). 2018, Bone Marrow Transplant
JournalBone Marrow Transplantation
- Children and Adults with Refractory Acute Graft-versus-Host Disease Respond to Treatment with the Mesenchymal Stromal Cell Preparation "MSC-FFM"-Outcome Report of 92 Patients.
- Authors: Bonig H, Kuçi Z, Kuçi S, Bakhtiar S, Basu O, Bug G, Dennis M, Greil J, Barta A, Kállay KM, Lang P, Lucchini G, Pol R, Schulz A, Sykora KW, Teichert von Luettichau I, Herter-Sprie G, Ashab Uddin M, Jenkin P, Alsultan A, Buechner J, Stein J, Kelemen A, Jarisch A, Soerensen J, Salzmann-Manrique E, Hutter M, Schäfer R, Seifried E, Paneesha S, Novitzky-Basso I, Gefen A, Nevo N, Beutel G, Schlegel PG, Klingebiel T, Bader P
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 5
- Multiple infusions of mesenchymal stromal cells induce sustained remission in children with steroid-refractory, grade III-IV acute graft-versus-host disease.
- Authors: Ball LM, Bernardo ME, Roelofs H, van Tol MJ, Contoli B, Zwaginga JJ, Avanzini MA, Conforti A, Bertaina A, Giorgiani G, Jol-van der Zijde CM, Zecca M, Le Blanc K, Frassoni F, Egeler RM, Fibbe WE, Lankester AC, Locatelli F
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Efficacy of Mesenchymal Stem Cell Therapy for Steroid-Refractory Acute Graft-Versus-Host Disease following Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
- Authors: Chen X, Wang C, Yin J, Xu J, Wei J, Zhang Y
- Issue date: 2015
- Immunomodulation effects of mesenchymal stromal cells on acute graft-versus-host disease after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.
- Authors: Zhao K, Lou R, Huang F, Peng Y, Jiang Z, Huang K, Wu X, Zhang Y, Fan Z, Zhou H, Liu C, Xiao Y, Sun J, Li Y, Xiang P, Liu Q
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Mesenchymal stromal cell infusion to treat steroid-refractory acute GvHD III/IV after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.
- Authors: Dotoli GM, De Santis GC, Orellana MD, de Lima Prata K, Caruso SR, Fernandes TR, Rensi Colturato VA, Kondo AT, Hamerschlak N, Simões BP, Covas DT
- Issue date: 2017 Jun