AffiliationDivision of Cancer Sciences, School of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, University of Manchester, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractProton beam therapy (PBT) is still relatively new in cancer treatment and the clinical evidence base is relatively sparse. Mathematical modelling offers assistance when selecting patients for PBT and predicting the demand for service. Discrete event simulation, normal tissue complication probability, quality-adjusted life-years and Markov Chain models are all mathematical and statistical modelling techniques currently used but none is dominant. As new evidence and outcome data become available from PBT, comprehensive models will emerge that are less dependent on the specific technologies of radiotherapy planning and delivery.
CitationMathematical modelling for patient selection in proton therapy. 2018, Clin Oncol
- A radiobiological Markov simulation tool for aiding decision making in proton therapy referral.
- Authors: Austin AM, Douglass MJJ, Nguyen GT, Penfold SN
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Present developments in reaching an international consensus for a model-based approach to particle beam therapy.
- Authors: Prayongrat A, Umegaki K, van der Schaaf A, Koong AC, Lin SH, Whitaker T, McNutt T, Matsufuji N, Graves E, Mizuta M, Ogawa K, Date H, Moriwaki K, Ito YM, Kobashi K, Dekura Y, Shimizu S, Shirato H
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 1
- Development and validation of NTCP models for acute side-effects resulting from proton beam therapy of brain tumours.
- Authors: Dutz A, Lühr A, Agolli L, Troost EGC, Krause M, Baumann M, Vermeren X, Geismar D, Schapira EF, Bussière M, Daly JE, Bussière MR, Timmermann B, Shih HA, Löck S
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- A treatment planning study of proton arc therapy for para-aortic lymph node tumors: dosimetric evaluation of conventional proton therapy, proton arc therapy, and intensity modulated radiotherapy.
- Authors: Rah JE, Kim GY, Oh DH, Kim TH, Kim JW, Kim DY, Park SY, Shin D
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 21
- Impact of model and dose uncertainty on model-based selection of oropharyngeal cancer patients for proton therapy.
- Authors: Bijman RG, Breedveld S, Arts T, Astreinidou E, de Jong MA, Granton PV, Petit SF, Hoogeman MS
- Issue date: 2017 Nov