AffiliationDivision of Cancer Sciences, School of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, University of Manchester, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractProton beam therapy (PBT) is still relatively new in cancer treatment and the clinical evidence base is relatively sparse. Mathematical modelling offers assistance when selecting patients for PBT and predicting the demand for service. Discrete event simulation, normal tissue complication probability, quality-adjusted life-years and Markov Chain models are all mathematical and statistical modelling techniques currently used but none is dominant. As new evidence and outcome data become available from PBT, comprehensive models will emerge that are less dependent on the specific technologies of radiotherapy planning and delivery.
CitationMathematical modelling for patient selection in proton therapy. 2018, Clin Oncol
- Toward a model-based patient selection strategy for proton therapy: External validation of photon-derived normal tissue complication probability models in a head and neck proton therapy cohort.
- Authors: Blanchard P, Wong AJ, Gunn GB, Garden AS, Mohamed ASR, Rosenthal DI, Crutison J, Wu R, Zhang X, Zhu XR, Mohan R, Amin MV, Fuller CD, Frank SJ
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Modelling of late side-effects following cranial proton beam therapy.
- Authors: Dutz A, Lühr A, Agolli L, Bütof R, Valentini C, Troost EGC, Baumann M, Vermeren X, Geismar D, Lamba N, Lebow ES, Bussière M, Daly JE, Bussière MR, Krause M, Timmermann B, Shih HA, Löck S
- Issue date: 2021 Apr
- Patient selection for proton therapy: a radiobiological fuzzy Markov model incorporating robust plan analysis.
- Authors: Austin AM, Douglass MJJ, Nguyen GT, Penfold SN
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Present developments in reaching an international consensus for a model-based approach to particle beam therapy.
- Authors: Prayongrat A, Umegaki K, van der Schaaf A, Koong AC, Lin SH, Whitaker T, McNutt T, Matsufuji N, Graves E, Mizuta M, Ogawa K, Date H, Moriwaki K, Ito YM, Kobashi K, Dekura Y, Shimizu S, Shirato H
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 1
- Proton beam therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Authors: Yeung RH, Chapman TR, Bowen SR, Apisarnthanarax S
- Issue date: 2017 Oct