NK cells stimulate recruitment of cDC1 into the tumor microenvironment promoting cancer immune control.
Reis E Sousa, C
AffiliationImmunobiology Laboratory, The Francis Crick Institute, 1 Midland Road, London NW1 1AT, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractConventional type 1 dendritic cells (cDC1) are critical for antitumor immunity, and their abundance within tumors is associated with immune-mediated rejection and the success of immunotherapy. Here, we show that cDC1 accumulation in mouse tumors often depends on natural killer (NK) cells that produce the cDC1 chemoattractants CCL5 and XCL1. Similarly, in human cancers, intratumoral CCL5, XCL1, and XCL2 transcripts closely correlate with gene signatures of both NK cells and cDC1 and are associated with increased overall patient survival. Notably, tumor production of prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) leads to evasion of the NK cell-cDC1 axis in part by impairing NK cell viability and chemokine production, as well as by causing downregulation of chemokine receptor expression in cDC1. Our findings reveal a cellular and molecular checkpoint for intratumoral cDC1 recruitment that is targeted by tumor-derived PGE2for immune evasion and that could be exploited for cancer therapy.
CitationNK cells stimulate recruitment of cDC1 into the tumor microenvironment promoting cancer immune control. 2018, 172(5):1022-1037.e14 Cell
- Inhibition of tumor-derived prostaglandin-e2 blocks the induction of myeloid-derived suppressor cells and recovers natural killer cell activity.
- Authors: Mao Y, Sarhan D, Steven A, Seliger B, Kiessling R, Lundqvist A
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 1
- Cancer-associated fibroblast-targeted strategy enhances antitumor immune responses in dendritic cell-based vaccine.
- Authors: Ohshio Y, Teramoto K, Hanaoka J, Tezuka N, Itoh Y, Asai T, Daigo Y, Ogasawara K
- Issue date: 2015 Feb
- CD4<sup>+</sup> T Cell and NK Cell Interplay Key to Regression of MHC Class I<sup>low</sup> Tumors upon TLR7/8 Agonist Therapy.
- Authors: Doorduijn EM, Sluijter M, Salvatori DC, Silvestri S, Maas S, Arens R, Ossendorp F, van der Burg SH, van Hall T
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- IL-18-primed helper NK cells collaborate with dendritic cells to promote recruitment of effector CD8+ T cells to the tumor microenvironment.
- Authors: Wong JL, Berk E, Edwards RP, Kalinski P
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 1
- Effect of tumor cells and tumor microenvironment on NK-cell function.
- Authors: Vitale M, Cantoni C, Pietra G, Mingari MC, Moretta L
- Issue date: 2014 Jun