Acquired resistance of ER- positive breast cancer to endocrine treatment confers an adaptive sensitivity to TRAIL through post-translational downregulation of c-FLIP.
da Silva, A
Simões, Bruno M
Clarke, Robert B
AffiliationEuropean Cancer Stem Cell Research Institute, Cardiff University piggottl@Cardiff.ac.ukEuropean Cancer Stem Cell Research Institute, Cardiff
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOne-third of ER-positive breast cancer patients who initially respond to endocrine therapy become resistant to treatment. Such treatment failure is associated with poor prognosis and remains an area of unmet clinical need. Here we identify a specific post-translational modification that occurs during endocrine resistance and which results in tumour susceptibility to the apoptosis inducer TNF-Related Apoptosis-Inducing Ligand (TRAIL). This potentially offers a novel stratified approach to targeting endocrine resistant breast cancer.
CitationAcquired resistance of ER- positive breast cancer to endocrine treatment confers an adaptive sensitivity to TRAIL through post-translational downregulation of c-FLIP. 2018 Clin. Cancer Res.
JournalClinical Cancer Research
- Suppression of apoptosis inhibitor c-FLIP selectively eliminates breast cancer stem cell activity in response to the anti-cancer agent, TRAIL.
- Authors: Piggott L, Omidvar N, Martí Pérez S, French R, Eberl M, Clarkson RW
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 14
- Cytoplasmic levels of cFLIP determine a broad susceptibility of breast cancer stem/progenitor-like cells to TRAIL.
- Authors: French R, Hayward O, Jones S, Yang W, Clarkson R
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 15
- Acquired resistance to endocrine treatments is associated with tumor-specific molecular changes in patient-derived luminal breast cancer xenografts.
- Authors: Cottu P, Bièche I, Assayag F, El Botty R, Chateau-Joubert S, Thuleau A, Bagarre T, Albaud B, Rapinat A, Gentien D, de la Grange P, Sibut V, Vacher S, Hatem R, Servely JL, Fontaine JJ, Decaudin D, Pierga JY, Roman-Roman S, Marangoni E
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 15
- Development of acquired resistance to lapatinib may sensitise HER2-positive breast cancer cells to apoptosis induction by obatoclax and TRAIL.
- Authors: Eustace AJ, Conlon NT, McDermott MSJ, Browne BC, O'Leary P, Holmes FA, Espina V, Liotta LA, O'Shaughnessy J, Gallagher C, O'Driscoll L, Rani S, Madden SF, O'Brien NA, Ginther C, Slamon D, Walsh N, Gallagher WM, Zagozdzon R, Watson WR, O'Donovan N, Crown J
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 11
- FKBPL and its peptide derivatives inhibit endocrine therapy resistant cancer stem cells and breast cancer metastasis by downregulating DLL4 and Notch4.
- Authors: McClements L, Annett S, Yakkundi A, O'Rourke M, Valentine A, Moustafa N, Alqudah A, Simões BM, Furlong F, Short A, McIntosh SA, McCarthy HO, Clarke RB, Robson T
- Issue date: 2019 Apr 11