Incidence and regression of actinic keratoses in organ transplant recipients.
AffiliationCancer and Population Studies Group, QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute, Locked Bag 2000 Royal Brisbane Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland 4029, Australia
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractActinic keratoses (AKs) are highly dynamic lesions and AK activity has been shown to be associated with squamous cell carcinoma (SCC). We sought to explore risk factors which may affect the 12-month turnover of AKs in organ transplant recipients (OTRs). The number of incident AKs, regressed AKs and net change in AK counts were calculated. Negative binomial regression and Poisson regression models were used to estimate rate ratios (RR) for these 3 outcomes. Among 150 renal and 89 liver OTRs, those who spent > 50% of a typical weekday in the sun had a lower rate of AK regression than those who spent minimal time in the sun during a typical weekday. Age, parents' country of origin, hair colour, skin cancer history and recent AK treatment were all significantly associated with AK turnover. Clinically, these risk factors may be used to monitor OTRs at increased risk of SCC.
CitationIncidence and regression of actinic keratoses in organ transplant recipients. 2018, 98(1): 77-81 Acta Derm Venereol
- Molecular profiling of cutaneous squamous cell carcinomas and actinic keratoses from organ transplant recipients.
- Authors: Hameetman L, Commandeur S, Bavinck JN, Wisgerhof HC, de Gruijl FR, Willemze R, Mullenders L, Tensen CP, Vrieling H
- Issue date: 2013 Feb 5
- Actinic keratosis-related signs predictive of squamous cell carcinoma in renal transplant recipients: a nested case-control study.
- Authors: Jiyad Z, O'Rourke P, Soyer HP, Green AC
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Epidemiology of actinic keratoses.
- Authors: Green AC
- Issue date: 2015
- Actinic keratoses, actinic field change and associations with squamous cell carcinoma in renal transplant recipients in Manchester, UK.
- Authors: Wallingford SC, Russell SA, Vail A, Proby CM, Lear JT, Green AC
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Use of photodynamic therapy for treatment of actinic keratoses in organ transplant recipients.
- Authors: Wlodek C, Ali FR, Lear JT
- Issue date: 2013