Magnetic resonance imaging-guided adaptive radiation therapy: A 'game changer' for prostate treatment?
van As, N
van der Heide, U
van Herk, Marcel
Tree, Alison C
AffiliationThe Institute of Cancer Research, London, United Kingdom
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRadiation therapy to the prostate involves increasingly sophisticated delivery techniques and changing fractionation schedules. With a low estimated α/β ratio, a larger dose per fraction would be beneficial, with moderate fractionation schedules rapidly becoming a standard of care. The integration of a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanner and linear accelerator allows for accurate soft tissue tracking with the capacity to replan for the anatomy of the day. Extreme hypofractionation schedules become a possibility using the potentially automated steps of autosegmentation, MRI-only workflow, and real-time adaptive planning. The present report reviews the steps involved in hypofractionated adaptive MRI-guided prostate radiation therapy and addresses the challenges for implementation.
CitationMagnetic resonance imaging-guided adaptive radiation therapy: A 'game changer' for prostate treatment? 2018, 100 (2):361-373 Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys
JournalInternational Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics
- An atlas-based electron density mapping method for magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)-alone treatment planning and adaptive MRI-based prostate radiation therapy.
- Authors: Dowling JA, Lambert J, Parker J, Salvado O, Fripp J, Capp A, Wratten C, Denham JW, Greer PB
- Issue date: 2012 May 1
- Practical method of adaptive radiotherapy for prostate cancer using real-time electromagnetic tracking.
- Authors: Olsen JR, Noel CE, Baker K, Santanam L, Michalski JM, Parikh PJ
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 1
- The first clinical implementation of real-time image-guided adaptive radiotherapy using a standard linear accelerator.
- Authors: Keall PJ, Nguyen DT, O'Brien R, Caillet V, Hewson E, Poulsen PR, Bromley R, Bell L, Eade T, Kneebone A, Martin J, Booth JT
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Feasibility of MRI-only treatment planning for proton therapy in brain and prostate cancers: Dose calculation accuracy in substitute CT images.
- Authors: Koivula L, Wee L, Korhonen J
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Image-guided intensity-modulated radiotherapy of prostate cancer: Analysis of interfractional errors and acute toxicity.
- Authors: Rudat V, Nour A, Hammoud M, Alaradi A, Mohammed A
- Issue date: 2016 Feb