Advances in molecular profiling and categorisation of pancreatic adenocarcinoma and the implications for therapy.
AffiliationDivision of Cancer Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9NT, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDAC) continues to be a disease with poor outcomes and short-lived treatment responses. New information is emerging from genome sequencing identifying potential subgroups based on somatic and germline mutations. A variety of different mutations and mutational signatures have been identified; the driver mutation in around 93% of PDAC is KRAS, with other recorded alterations being SMAD4 and CDKN2A. Mutations in the deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) damage repair pathway have also been investigated in PDAC and multiple clinical trials are ongoing with DNA-damaging agents. Rare mutations in BRAF and microsatellite instability (MSI) have been reported in about 1-3% of patients with PDAC, and agents used in other cancers to target these have also shown some promise. Immunotherapy is a developing field, but has failed to demonstrate benefits in PDAC to date. While many trials have failed to improve outcomes in this deadly disease, there is optimism that by developing a better understanding of the translational aspects of this cancer, future informed therapeutic strategies may prove more successful.
CitationAdvances in molecular profiling and categorisation of pancreatic adenocarcinoma and the implications for therapy. 2018, 10 (1) Cancers
- Genomic Profiling and Potentially Targetable Alterations in Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Gleeson FC, Levy MJ
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Genetic Testing in Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma: Implications for Prevention and Treatment.
- Authors: Peters ML, Tseng JF, Miksad RA
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Genomic profiling in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma and a pathway towards therapy individualization: A scoping review.
- Authors: Singh RR, Goldberg J, Varghese AM, Yu KH, Park W, O'Reilly EM
- Issue date: 2019 May
- Genetic Alterations of Periampullary and Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma: An Overview.
- Authors: Sikdar N, Saha G, Dutta A, Ghosh S, Shrikhande SV, Banerjee S
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- New Treatment Strategies for Metastatic Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Singh RR, O'Reilly EM
- Issue date: 2020 May