AffiliationEscuela de Doctorado, Universidad Catolica de Valencia 'San Vicente Martir', Valencia, Spain
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThere are at least two pathways driving cutaneous melanoma; one is linked to an inherent melanoma susceptibility to nevi development and the second to environmental cumulative ultraviolet light exposure. In this study, we examined the relation between nevus density, accrued sun damage and the site of primary melanoma excision. In a series of 888 consecutive cutaneous melanoma patients, melanomas appearing in skin areas with a high relative nevus density were most prominent in men, with an elevated nevus count, at sites without solar elastosis, but with an epidemiological history of previous sunburn. The present study associates melanoma development to sites with high nevus density. Our study supports more careful surveillance of body areas with increased nevus density in patients with high total body number of nevi, especially when they report a history of sunburns at these sites.
CitationCutaneous melanoma primary site is linked to nevus density. 2017, 8 (58):98876-98886 Oncotarget
- Solar elastosis and cutaneous melanoma: a site-specific analysis.
- Authors: Kvaskoff M, Pandeya N, Green AC, Perry S, Baxter C, Davis MB, Mortimore R, Westacott L, Wood D, Triscott J, Williamson R, Whiteman DC
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 15
- Etiologic and other factors predicting nevus-associated cutaneous malignant melanoma.
- Authors: Purdue MP, From L, Armstrong BK, Kricker A, Gallagher RP, McLaughlin JR, Klar NS, Marrett LD, Genes, Environment, and Melanoma Study Group.
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Melanocytic nevi and sun exposure in a cohort of colorado children: anatomic distribution and site-specific sunburn.
- Authors: Dodd AT, Morelli J, Mokrohisky ST, Asdigian N, Byers TE, Crane LA
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- The influence of painful sunburns and lifetime sun exposure on the risk of actinic keratoses, seborrheic warts, melanocytic nevi, atypical nevi, and skin cancer.
- Authors: Kennedy C, Bajdik CD, Willemze R, De Gruijl FR, Bouwes Bavinck JN, Leiden Skin Cancer Study.
- Issue date: 2003 Jun
- Melanoma coexisting with solar elastosis: a potential pitfall in the differential diagnosis between nevus and melanoma.
- Authors: Konopinski JC, Danialan R, Torres-Cabala CA, Tetzlaff MT, Nagarajan P, Curry JL, Ivan D, Prieto VG, Aung PP
- Issue date: 2019 Feb