Current and emergent therapy options for advanced squamous-cell lung cancer.
AffiliationFlorida Hospital Cancer Institute, Orlando, Florida
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSquamous-cell lung cancer (SqCLC) is a distinct histologic subtype of non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) that is challenging to treat due to specific clinicopathologic characteristics, which include older age, advanced disease at diagnosis, co-morbid diseases, and the central location of tumors. These characteristics have a bearing on treatment outcomes in advanced SqCLC, resulting in a median survival approximately 30% shorter than for patients with other NSCLC subtypes. In the context of the specific features of SqCLC, we review challenges of treating SqCLC and the current guideline-recommended treatments for advanced (metastatic) SqCLC in different patient subpopulations. We also evaluate recently approved treatment options, including necitumumab, afatinib, nivolumab, pembrolizumab, and atezolizumab, discuss the survival benefits associated with each agent in the advanced SqCLC population, and propose a treatment algorithm incorporating these agents for this challenging-to-treat disease. Lastly, we review the preliminary clinical evidence for immunotherapy agents in development for advanced NSCLC.
CitationCurrent and emergent therapy options for advanced squamous-cell lung cancer. 2017, J Thorac Oncol
JournalJournal of Thoracic Oncology
- Clinicopathologic Features of Advanced Squamous NSCLC.
- Authors: Socinski MA, Obasaju C, Gandara D, Hirsch FR, Bonomi P, Bunn P, Kim ES, Langer CJ, Natale RB, Novello S, Paz-Ares L, Pérol M, Reck M, Ramalingam SS, Reynolds CH, Spigel DR, Stinchcombe TE, Wakelee H, Mayo C, Thatcher N
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Incremental Innovation and Progress in Advanced Squamous Cell Lung Cancer: Current Status and Future Impact of Treatment.
- Authors: Langer CJ, Obasaju C, Bunn P, Bonomi P, Gandara D, Hirsch FR, Kim ES, Natale RB, Novello S, Paz-Ares L, Pérol M, Reck M, Ramalingam SS, Reynolds CH, Socinski MA, Spigel DR, Wakelee H, Mayo C, Thatcher N
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Emerging drugs for squamous cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Cheng H, Shcherba M, Kandavelou K, Liang Y, Liu H, Perez-Soler R
- Issue date: 2015 Mar
- [Progress on the Study of Targeting FGFR in Squamous Non-small Cell Lung Cancer].
- Authors: Dong M, Li T, Chen J
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 20
- Mouse models in squamous cell lung cancer: impact for drug discovery.
- Authors: Singh AP, Adrianzen Herrera D, Zhang Y, Perez-Soler R, Cheng H
- Issue date: 2018 Apr