PDGFR-modulated miR-23b cluster and miR-125a-5p suppress lung tumorigenesis by targeting multiple components of KRAS and NF-kB pathways.
AffiliationTranscriptional Networks in Lung Cancer Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn NSCLC alterations in PDGF receptors are markers of worst prognosis and efficient targeting of these receptors is yet to be achieved. In this study, we explored PDGFR-regulated microRNAs demonstrating that miR-23b cluster and miR-125a-5p are downregulated by increased expression of PDGFR-α or PDGFR-β in NSCLC cells. Mechanistically, the expression of these microRNAs is positively regulated by p53 and negatively modulated by NF-kB p65. Forced expression of miR-23b cluster or miR-125a-5p enhanced drug sensitivity and suppressed invasiveness of NSCLC cells by silencing several genes involved in oncogenic KRAS and NF-kB pathways, including SOS1, GRB2, IQGAP1, RALA, RAF-1, IKKβ, AKT2, ERK2 and KRAS itself. Of note, an inverse correlation between miR-23b cluster, miR-125a-5p and respective target genes was also found in vivo in a large dataset of lung adenocarcinoma samples. Furthermore, in vivo delivery of miR-23b cluster or miR-125a-5p significantly repressed tumour growth in a highly aggressive NSCLC circulating tumour cell (CTC) patient derived explant (CDX) mouse model. In conclusion, our finding sheds light on the PDGFR signaling and endorses the possibility to employ miR-23b cluster and miR-125a-5p as therapeutic tools to silence simultaneously a range of redundant pathways and main effectors of tumorigenesis in NSCLC.
CitationPDGFR-modulated miR-23b cluster and miR-125a-5p suppress lung tumorigenesis by targeting multiple components of KRAS and NF-kB pathways. 2017, 7 (1):15441 Sci Rep
- Hsa-miR-125a-3p and hsa-miR-125a-5p are downregulated in non-small cell lung cancer and have inverse effects on invasion and migration of lung cancer cells.
- Authors: Jiang L, Huang Q, Zhang S, Zhang Q, Chang J, Qiu X, Wang E
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 22
- Luteolin Inhibits Tumorigenesis and Induces Apoptosis of Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Cells via Regulation of MicroRNA-34a-5p.
- Authors: Jiang ZQ, Li MH, Qin YM, Jiang HY, Zhang X, Wu MH
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 2
- Reduced miR-125a-5p level in non-small-cell lung cancer is associated with tumour progression.
- Authors: Liu H, Ma Y, Liu C, Li P, Yu T
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 10
- Down-regulation of miR-675-5p contributes to tumor progression and development by targeting pro-tumorigenic GPR55 in non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: He D, Wang J, Zhang C, Shan B, Deng X, Li B, Zhou Y, Chen W, Hong J, Gao Y, Chen Z, Duan C
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 1
- The reciprocal regulation loop of Notch2 pathway and miR-23b in controlling gastric carcinogenesis.
- Authors: Huang TT, Ping YH, Wang AM, Ke CC, Fang WL, Huang KH, Lee HC, Chi CW, Yeh TS
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 20