IL-1R8 is a checkpoint in NK cells regulating anti-tumour and anti-viral activity.
AffiliationHumanitas Clinical and Research Center, 20089 Rozzano, Italy
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInterleukin-1 receptor 8 (IL-1R8, also known as single immunoglobulin IL-1R-related receptor, SIGIRR, or TIR8) is a member of the IL-1 receptor (ILR) family with distinct structural and functional characteristics, acting as a negative regulator of ILR and Toll-like receptor (TLR) downstream signalling pathways and inflammation. Natural killer (NK) cells are innate lymphoid cells which mediate resistance against pathogens and contribute to the activation and orientation of adaptive immune responses. NK cells mediate resistance against haematopoietic neoplasms but are generally considered to play a minor role in solid tumour carcinogenesis. Here we report that IL-1R8 serves as a checkpoint for NK cell maturation and effector function. Its genetic blockade unleashes NK-cell-mediated resistance to hepatic carcinogenesis, haematogenous liver and lung metastasis, and cytomegalovirus infection.
CitationIL-1R8 is a checkpoint in NK cells regulating anti-tumour and anti-viral activity. 2017, 551(7678): 110-114 Nature
- Tuning inflammation and immunity by the negative regulators IL-1R2 and IL-1R8.
- Authors: Molgora M, Supino D, Mantovani A, Garlanda C
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- High IL-1R8 expression in breast tumors promotes tumor growth and contributes to impaired antitumor immunity.
- Authors: Campesato LF, Silva APM, Cordeiro L, Correa BR, Navarro FCP, Zanin RF, Marçola M, Inoue LT, Duarte ML, Molgora M, Pasqualini F, Massara M, Galante P, Barroso-Sousa R, Polentarutti N, Riva F, Costa ET, Mantovani A, Garlanda C, Camargo AA
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 25
- Ly49H engagement compensates for the absence of type I interferon signaling in stimulating NK cell proliferation during murine cytomegalovirus infection.
- Authors: Geurs TL, Zhao YM, Hill EB, French AR
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 1
- Role for TLR2 in NK cell-mediated control of murine cytomegalovirus in vivo.
- Authors: Szomolanyi-Tsuda E, Liang X, Welsh RM, Kurt-Jones EA, Finberg RW
- Issue date: 2006 May
- The Toll-IL-1R member Tir8/SIGIRR negatively regulates adaptive immunity against kidney grafts.
- Authors: Noris M, Cassis P, Azzollini N, Cavinato R, Cugini D, Casiraghi F, Aiello S, Solini S, Cassis L, Mister M, Todeschini M, Abbate M, Benigni A, Trionfini P, Tomasoni S, Mele C, Garlanda C, Polentarutti N, Mantovani A, Remuzzi G
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 1