A restatement of the natural science evidence base concerning the health effects of low-level ionizing radiation.
Hendry, Jolyon H
AffiliationDepartment of Zoology, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PS
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractExposure to ionizing radiation is ubiquitous, and it is well established that moderate and high doses cause ill-health and can be lethal. The health effects of low doses or low dose-rates of ionizing radiation are not so clear. This paper describes a project which sets out to summarize, as a restatement, the natural science evidence base concerning the human health effects of exposure to low-level ionizing radiation. A novel feature, compared to other reviews, is that a series of statements are listed and categorized according to the nature and strength of the evidence that underpins them. The purpose of this restatement is to provide a concise entrée into this vibrant field, pointing the interested reader deeper into the literature when more detail is needed. It is not our purpose to reach conclusions on whether the legal limits on radiation exposures are too high, too low or just right. Our aim is to provide an introduction so that non-specialist individuals in this area (be they policy-makers, disputers of policy, health professionals or students) have a straightforward place to start. The summary restatement of the evidence and an extensively annotated bibliography are provided as appendices in the electronic supplementary material.
CitationA restatement of the natural science evidence base concerning the health effects of low-level ionizing radiation. 2017, 284 (1862) Proc Biol Sci
JournalProceedings Biological Sciences
- A restatement of the natural science evidence base concerning neonicotinoid insecticides and insect pollinators.
- Authors: Godfray HC, Blacquière T, Field LM, Hails RS, Petrokofsky G, Potts SG, Raine NE, Vanbergen AJ, McLean AR
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 7
- Is Ionizing Radiation Harmful at any Exposure? An Echo That Continues to Vibrate.
- Authors: Azzam EI, Colangelo NW, Domogauer JD, Sharma N, de Toledo SM
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- A restatement of the natural science evidence concerning catchment-based 'natural' flood management in the UK.
- Authors: Dadson SJ, Hall JW, Murgatroyd A, Acreman M, Bates P, Beven K, Heathwaite L, Holden J, Holman IP, Lane SN, O'Connell E, Penning-Rowsell E, Reynard N, Sear D, Thorne C, Wilby R
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Deterministic Effects to the Lens of the Eye Following Ionizing Radiation Exposure: is There Evidence to Support a Reduction in Threshold Dose?
- Authors: Thome C, Chambers DB, Hooker AM, Thompson JW, Boreham DR
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- Effect of ionizing radiation on the female reproductive system.
- Authors: Skrzypek M, Wdowiak A, Panasiuk L, Stec M, Szczygieł K, Zybała M, Filip M
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 19