Challenges and unanswered questions for the next decade of circulating tumour cell research in lung cancer.
AffiliationClinical and Experimental Pharmacology Group, CRUK Manchester Institute, University of Manchester, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSince blood borne circulating tumour cells (CTCs) initially shed from the primary tumour can seed and initiate metastasis at distant sites a better understanding of the biology of CTCs and their dissemination could provide valuable information that could guide therapeutic intervention and real time monitoring of disease progression. Although CTC enumeration has provided a reliable prognostic readout for a number of cancers, including lung cancer, the precise clinical utility of CTCs remains to be established. The rarity of CTCs together with the vanishingly small amounts of nucleic acids present in a single cell as well as cell to cell heterogeneity has stimulated the development of a wide range of powerful cellular and molecular methodologies applied to CTCs. These technical developments are now enabling researchers to focus on understanding the biology of CTCs and their clinical utility as a predictive and pharmacodynamics markers. This review summarises recent advances in the field of CTC research with focus on technical and biological challenges as well the progress made towards clinical utility of characterisation of CTCs with emphasis on studies in lung cancer.
CitationChallenges and unanswered questions for the next decade of circulating tumour cell research in lung cancer. 2017, 6 (4):454-472 Transl Lung Cancer Res
JournalTranslational Lung Cancer Research
- Circulating Tumour Cells in Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Chemi F, Mohan S, Brady G
- Issue date: 2020
- Circulating tumour cells, their role in metastasis and their clinical utility in lung cancer.
- Authors: O'Flaherty JD, Gray S, Richard D, Fennell D, O'Leary JJ, Blackhall FH, O'Byrne KJ
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Exploration of Circulating Tumour Cell (CTC) Biology: A Paradigm Shift in Liquid Biopsy.
- Authors: Chauhan A, Kaur R, Ghoshal S, Pal A
- Issue date: 2021 Apr
- Circulating tumour cells: their utility in cancer management and predicting outcomes.
- Authors: Krebs MG, Hou JM, Ward TH, Blackhall FH, Dive C
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- The Role of CTCs as Tumor Biomarkers.
- Authors: Lianidou ES, Markou A, Strati A
- Issue date: 2015