AffiliationNorth West Lung Centre, University Hospital South Manchester, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLung cancer is the leading cause of cancer-related death in the world. It is broadly divided into small cell (SCLC, approx. 15% cases) and non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC, approx. 85% cases). The main histological subtypes of NSCLC are adenocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, with the presence of specific DNA mutations allowing further molecular stratification. If identified at an early stage, surgical resection of NSCLC offers a favourable prognosis, with published case series reporting 5-year survival rates of up to 70% for small, localized tumours (stage I). However, most patients (approx. 75%) have advanced disease at the time of diagnosis (stage III/IV) and despite significant developments in the oncological management of late stage lung cancer over recent years, survival remains poor. In 2014, the UK Office for National Statistics reported that patients diagnosed with distant metastatic disease (stage IV) had a 1-year survival rate of just 15-19% compared with 81-85% for stage I.
CitationProgress and prospects of early detection in lung cancer. 2017, 7 (9): Open Biol
- Serum Protein Markers for the Early Detection of Lung Cancer: A Focus on Autoantibodies.
- Authors: Broodman I, Lindemans J, van Sten J, Bischoff R, Luider T
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 6
- Results of the Randomized Danish Lung Cancer Screening Trial with Focus on High-Risk Profiling.
- Authors: Wille MM, Dirksen A, Ashraf H, Saghir Z, Bach KS, Brodersen J, Clementsen PF, Hansen H, Larsen KR, Mortensen J, Rasmussen JF, Seersholm N, Skov BG, Thomsen LH, Tønnesen P, Pedersen JH
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 1
- Clinical Application of Genomic Profiling With Circulating Tumor DNA for Management of Advanced Non-Small-cell Lung Cancer in Asia.
- Authors: Loong HH, Raymond VM, Shiotsu Y, Chua DTT, Teo PML, Yung T, Skrzypczak S, Lanman RB, Mok TSK
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Methylation of the DCLK1 promoter region in circulating free DNA and its prognostic value in lung cancer patients.
- Authors: Powrózek T, Krawczyk P, Nicoś M, Kuźnar-Kamińska B, Batura-Gabryel H, Milanowski J
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Prognosis of the surgical treatment of patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)--relation to DNA ploidy.
- Authors: Gawrychowski J, Lackowska B, Gabriel A
- Issue date: 2003 Jun