AffiliationDermatology Centre, University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFolliculitis decalvans (FD) is classified as a primary neutrophilic cicatricial alopecia, and is estimated to account for approximately 10% of all cases of primary cicatricial alopecia. The role of dysfunctional immune activity and the presence of bacteria, particularly Staphylococcus aureus, appear pivotal. We describe a 26-year-old man with a 4-year history of FD that was recalcitrant to numerous systemic and topical therapies, whose disease was virtually cleared during a follow-up of 25 months following a course of treatment with systemic photodynamic therapy (PDT) using ultraviolet light (100-140 J/cm(2) ) with porfimer sodium 1 mg/kg as monotherapy. This is the first report of the use of systemic PDT as a treatment for FD. Systemic PDT has potent antibacterial effects with little or no resistance. In addition, systemic PDT provides local immunomodulation and improved scar healing. Significant adverse effects following systemic PDT with appropriate aftercare are rare. This case demonstrates that systemic PDT is a useful therapy option in the treatment of recalcitrant FD.
CitationSystemic photodynamic therapy in folliculitis decalvans. 2017, Clin Exp Dermatol
JournalClinical and Experimental Dermatology
- Successful Treatment with Fusidic Acid in a Patient with Folliculitis Decalvans.
- Authors: Pimenta R, Borges-Costa J
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Folliculitis decalvans: Effectiveness of therapies and prognostic factors in a multicenter series of 60 patients with long-term follow-up.
- Authors: Miguel-Gómez L, Rodrigues-Barata AR, Molina-Ruiz A, Martorell-Calatayud A, Fernández-Crehuet P, Grimalt R, Barco D, Arias-Santiago S, Serrano-Falcón C, Camacho FM, Saceda-Corralo D, Jaén-Olasolo P, Vañó-Galván S
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- [Dapsone treatment of folliculitis decalvans].
- Authors: Paquet P, Piérard GE
- Issue date: 2004 Feb
- Resolution of folliculitis decalvans with medical honey.
- Authors: Yeh JE, Hartman RI, Xu J, Hoang M, Yasuda MR
- Issue date: 2019 Aug 15
- Intravenous human immunoglobulin for treatment of folliculitis decalvans.
- Authors: Ismail N, Ralph N, Murphy G
- Issue date: 2015 Oct