The clinical utility of circulating tumour cells in patients with small cell lung cancer.
Blackhall, Fiona H
AffiliationClinical and Experimental Pharmacology Group, CRUK Manchester Institute, CRUK Manchester Institute, University of Manchester, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSmall cell lung cancer (SCLC) accounts for 15% of lung cancer diagnosed worldwide. It is aggressive and characterised by early metastatic spread with rapid development of chemo resistance such that less than 5% of patients diagnosed survive 5 years. Surgery is rarely performed and failure to identify new effective treatments has been attributed in a large part to lack of good quality tumour biopsies available for translational research. Liquid biopsies provide a minimally invasive alternative to traditional tumour biopsy. Circulating tumour cells (CTCs) are abundant in SCLC and can be enriched and isolated from a venous blood sample. In recent years progress has been made into the molecular characterisation of CTCs and their use to form tumour xenografts in mice for preclinical studies. This review will discuss the current status of the clinical utility of CTCs in patients with SCLC, highlighting their potential application to treatment decision making, drug development in clinical trials and preclinical testing.
CitationThe clinical utility of circulating tumour cells in patients with small cell lung cancer. 2017, 6 (4):409-417 Transl Lung Cancer Res
JournalTranslational Lung Cancer Research
- Clinical evaluation of a novel microfluidic device for epitope-independent enrichment of circulating tumour cells in patients with small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Chudziak J, Burt DJ, Mohan S, Rothwell DG, Mesquita B, Antonello J, Dalby S, Ayub M, Priest L, Carter L, Krebs MG, Blackhall F, Dive C, Brady G
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 21
- Circulating Tumour Cells in Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Chemi F, Mohan S, Brady G
- Issue date: 2020
- Will liquid biopsies improve outcomes for patients with small-cell lung cancer?
- Authors: Blackhall F, Frese KK, Simpson K, Kilgour E, Brady G, Dive C
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Challenges and unanswered questions for the next decade of circulating tumour cell research in lung cancer.
- Authors: Mohan S, Chemi F, Brady G
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- A multicenter pilot study examining the role of circulating tumor cells as a blood-based tumor marker in patients with extensive small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Huang CH, Wick JA, Sittampalam GS, Nirmalanandhan VS, Ganti AK, Neupane PC, Williamson SK, Godwin AK, Schmitt S, Smart NJ, Spencer S, Van Veldhuizen PJ
- Issue date: 2014