Results of a multicentre UK-wide retrospective study evaluating the efficacy of brentuximab vedotin in relapsed, refractory classical Hodgkin lymphoma in the transplant naive setting.
Linton, Kim M
Radford, John A
AffiliationDepartment of Haematology, Churchill Hospital, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Oxford
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRelapsed or refractory classical Hodgkin lymphoma (cHL) is associated with a poor outcome when standard chemotherapy fails. Brentuximab vedotin (BV) is an anti-CD30 monoclonal antibody-drug conjugate licensed for use at relapse after autologous stem cell transplant (ASCT) or following two prior therapies in those unsuitable for ASCT. There are limited data assessing the ability of BV to enable curative SCT. We performed a UK-wide retrospective study of 99 SCT-naïve relapsed/refractory cHL. All had received 2 prior lines and were deemed fit for transplant but had an insufficient remission to proceed. The median age was 32 years. Most had nodular sclerosis subtype, Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance status 0-1 and advanced stage disease. The median progression-free survival (PFS) was 5·6 months and median overall survival (OS) was 37·2 months. The overall response rate was 56% (29% complete response; 27% partial response). 61% reached SCT: 34% immediately post-BV and 27% following an inadequate BV response but were salvaged and underwent deferred SCT. Patients consolidated with SCT had a superior PFS and OS to those not receiving SCT (P < 0·001). BV is an effective, non-toxic bridge to immediate SCT in 34% and deferred SCT in 27%. 39% never reached SCT with a PFS of 3·0 months, demonstrating the unmet need to improve outcomes in those unsuitable for SCT post-BV.
CitationResults of a multicentre UK-wide retrospective study evaluating the efficacy of brentuximab vedotin in relapsed, refractory classical Hodgkin lymphoma in the transplant naive setting. 2017 Br J Haematol
JournalBritish Journal of Haematology
DescriptionLymphoma Research Team
- Brentuximab vedotin as salvage treatment in Hodgkin lymphoma naïve transplant patients or failing ASCT: the real life experience of Rete Ematologica Pugliese (REP).
- Authors: Pavone V, Mele A, Carlino D, Specchia G, Gaudio F, Perrone T, Mazza P, Palazzo G, Guarini A, Loseto G, Eleonora P, Cascavilla N, Scalzulli P, Melpignano A, Quintana G, Di Renzo N, Tarantini G, Capalbo S
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Use of brentuximab vedotin as salvage therapy pre-allogeneic stem cell transplantation in relapsed/refractory CD30 positive lympho-proliferative disorders: a single centre experience.
- Authors: Mediwake H, Morris K, Curley C, Butler J, Kennedy G
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Brentuximab Vedotin in Transplant-Naïve Relapsed/Refractory Hodgkin Lymphoma: Experience in 30 Patients.
- Authors: Zinzani PL, Pellegrini C, Cantonetti M, Re A, Pinto A, Pavone V, Rigacci L, Celli M, Broccoli A, Argnani L, Pulsoni A
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Positive impact of brentuximab vedotin on overall survival of patients with classical Hodgkin lymphoma who relapse or progress after autologous stem cell transplantation: A nationwide analysis.
- Authors: Tsirigotis P, Vassilakopoulos T, Batsis I, Bousiou Z, Gkirkas K, Sakellari I, Kaloyannidis P, Roussou P, Pangalis GA, Moschogiannis M, Vassilopoulos G, Repousis P, Megalakaki A, Michalis E, Kalpadakis C, Papadaki HA, Kotsianidis I, Hatzimichael E, Spyridonidis A, Anargyrou K, Poulakidas E, Giannoullia P, Apostolidis I, Stamouli M, Konstantopoulos K, Pappa V, Panayiotidis P, Harhalakis N, Anagnostopoulos A, Angelopoulou M
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Outcome of patients with relapsed or refractory anaplastic large cell lymphoma who have failed brentuximab vedotin.
- Authors: Chihara D, Wong S, Feldman T, Fanale MA, Sanchez L, Connors JM, Savage KJ, Oki Y
- Issue date: 2019 Feb