Prognostic and predictive biomarkers in early stage NSCLC: CTCs and serum/plasma markers.
AffiliationPICR, University of Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractResection of early stage non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) offers patients the best hope of cure, however recurrence rates post-resection remain high suggesting the presence of micro-metastatic disease at the time of surgery undetected by standard staging methods. A critical step in the metastatic cascade is the entry of tumor cells into the circulation enabling their distribution to and seeding of distant organs. This review explores the evidence for predictive and prognostic circulating biomarkers in the early stage NSCLC population. We summarize studies that have explored a variety of targets including circulating proteins, nucleic acids and more recently circulating tumor cells (CTCs) as potentially clinically relevant biomarkers in the early stage setting. Circulating biomarkers may add clinically relevant information about the biological behavior of tumors over and above that provided by pathological staging. Improvement in the stratification of patients according to the likelihood of metastatic relapse after radical treatments such as surgical resection could allow more effective targeting of systemic therapies such as adjuvant chemotherapy.
CitationPrognostic and predictive biomarkers in early stage NSCLC: CTCs and serum/plasma markers. 2013, 2 (5):382-97 Transl Lung Cancer Res
JournalTranslational Lung Cancer Research
- Overview of resistance to systemic therapy in patients with breast cancer.
- Authors: Gonzalez-Angulo AM, Morales-Vasquez F, Hortobagyi GN
- Issue date: 2007
- Systemic and targeted therapies for early-stage lung cancer.
- Authors: Byron E, Pinder-Schenck M
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- The role of liquid biopsy in predicting post-operative recurrence of non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Liang H, Huang J, Wang B, Liu Z, He J, Liang W
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Circulating Cell-Free DNA and Circulating Tumor Cells as Prognostic and Predictive Biomarkers in Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Patients Treated with First-Line Chemotherapy.
- Authors: Coco S, Alama A, Vanni I, Fontana V, Genova C, Dal Bello MG, Truini A, Rijavec E, Biello F, Sini C, Burrafato G, Maggioni C, Barletta G, Grossi F
- Issue date: 2017 May 11
- Post-Surgery Circulating Tumor Cells and <i>AXL</i> Overexpression as New Poor Prognostic Biomarkers in Resected Lung Adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: de Miguel-Pérez D, Bayarri-Lara CI, Ortega FG, Russo A, Moyano Rodriguez MJ, Alvarez-Cubero MJ, Maza Serrano E, Lorente JA, Rolfo C, Serrano MJ
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 7