Survival of head and neck cancer cells relies upon LZK Kinase-mediated stabilization of mutant p53
AuthorsEdwards, Zoe C
Trotter, Eleanor W
AffiliationSignalling Networks in Cancer, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHead and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC) includes epithelial cancers of the oral and nasal cavity, larynx, and pharynx and accounts for ∼350,000 deaths per year worldwide. Smoking-related HNSCC is associated with few targetable mutations but is defined by frequent copy-number alteration, the most common of which is gain at 3q. Critical 3q target genes have not been conclusively determined for HNSCC. Here, we present data indicating that MAP3K13 (encoding LZK) is an amplified driver gene in HNSCC. Copy-number gain at 3q resulted in increased MAP3K13 mRNA in HNSCC tumor samples and cell lines. Silencing LZK reduced cell viability and proliferation of HNSCC cells with 3q gain but not control cell lines. Inducible silencing of LZK caused near-complete loss of colony-forming ability in cells harboring 3q gain. These results were validated in vivo by evidence that LZK silencing was sufficient to reduce tumor growth in a xenograft model of HNSCC. Our results establish LZK as critical for maintaining expression of mutant stabilized p53. Cancer Res; 1-12. ©2017 AACR.
CitationSurvival of head and neck cancer cells relies upon LZK Kinase-mediated stabilization of mutant p53. 2017 Cancer Res.
- PI3K Inhibitors Curtail MYC-Dependent Mutant p53 Gain-of-Function in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma.
- Authors: Ganci F, Pulito C, Valsoni S, Sacconi A, Turco C, Vahabi M, Manciocco V, Mazza EMC, Meens J, Karamboulas C, Nichols AC, Covello R, Pellini R, Spriano G, Sanguineti G, Muti P, Bicciato S, Ailles L, Strano S, Fontemaggi G, Blandino G
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 15
- p53-targeted lincRNA-p21 acts as a tumor suppressor by inhibiting JAK2/STAT3 signaling pathways in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Jin S, Yang X, Li J, Yang W, Ma H, Zhang Z
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 11
- Functional kinomics identifies candidate therapeutic targets in head and neck cancer.
- Authors: Moser R, Xu C, Kao M, Annis J, Lerma LA, Schaupp CM, Gurley KE, Jang IS, Biktasova A, Yarbrough WG, Margolin AA, Grandori C, Kemp CJ, Méndez E
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 15
- Piperlongumine and p53-reactivator APR-246 selectively induce cell death in HNSCC by targeting GSTP1.
- Authors: Hang W, Yin ZX, Liu G, Zeng Q, Shen XF, Sun QH, Li DD, Jian YP, Zhang YH, Wang YS, Quan CS, Zhao RX, Li YL, Xu ZX
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Replication Stress Leading to Apoptosis within the S-phase Contributes to Synergism between Vorinostat and AZD1775 in HNSCC Harboring High-Risk <i>TP53</i> Mutation.
- Authors: Tanaka N, Patel AA, Tang L, Silver NL, Lindemann A, Takahashi H, Jaksik R, Rao X, Kalu NN, Chen TC, Wang J, Frederick MJ, Johnson F, Gleber-Netto FO, Fu S, Kimmel M, Wang J, Hittelman WN, Pickering CR, Myers JN, Osman AA
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 1