Primitive erythrocytes are generated from hemogenic endothelial cells
AffiliationCancer Research UK Stem Cell Biology Group, Cancer Research UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPrimitive erythroblasts are the first blood cells generated during embryonic hematopoiesis. Tracking their emergence both in vivo and in vitro has remained challenging due to the lack of specific cell surface markers. To selectively investigate primitive erythropoiesis, we have engineered a new transgenic embryonic stem (ES) cell line, where eGFP expression is driven by the regulatory sequences of the embryonic βH1 hemoglobin gene expressed specifically in primitive erythroid cells. Using this ES cell line, we observed that the first primitive erythroblasts are detected in vitro around day 1.5 of blast colony differentiation, within the cell population positive for the early hematopoietic progenitor marker CD41. Moreover, we establish that these eGFP(+) cells emerge from a hemogenic endothelial cell population similarly to their definitive hematopoietic counterparts. We further generated a corresponding βH1-eGFP transgenic mouse model and demonstrated the presence of a primitive erythroid primed hemogenic endothelial cell population in the developing embryo. Taken together, our findings demonstrate that both in vivo and in vitro primitive erythrocytes are generated from hemogenic endothelial cells.
CitationPrimitive erythrocytes are generated from hemogenic endothelial cells. 2017, 7 (1):6401 Sci Rep
TypeMeetings and Proceedings
- CXCR4 Signaling Negatively Modulates the Bipotential State of Hemogenic Endothelial Cells Derived from Embryonic Stem Cells by Attenuating the Endothelial Potential.
- Authors: Ahmed T, Tsuji-Tamura K, Ogawa M
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Spry1 is expressed in hemangioblasts and negatively regulates primitive hematopoiesis and endothelial cell function.
- Authors: Yang X, Gong Y, Friesel R
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 1
- ETV2 expression marks blood and endothelium precursors, including hemogenic endothelium, at the onset of blood development.
- Authors: Wareing S, Eliades A, Lacaud G, Kouskoff V
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Early Human Hemogenic Endothelium Generates Primitive and Definitive Hematopoiesis In Vitro.
- Authors: Garcia-Alegria E, Menegatti S, Fadlullah MZH, Menendez P, Lacaud G, Kouskoff V
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 13
- EphrinB2 regulates the emergence of a hemogenic endothelium from the aorta.
- Authors: Chen II, Caprioli A, Ohnuki H, Kwak H, Porcher C, Tosato G
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 2