SOX7 expression is critically required in FLK1-expressing cells for vasculogenesis and angiogenesis during mouse embryonic development.
AffiliationCancer Research UK Manchester Institute, The University of Manchester, Wilmslow road, M20 4BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe transcriptional program that regulates the differentiation of endothelial precursor cells into a highly organized vascular network is still poorly understood. Here we explore the role of SOX7 during this process, performing a detailed analysis of the vascular defects resulting from either a complete deficiency in Sox7 expression or from the conditional deletion of Sox7 in FLK1-expressing cells. We analysed the consequence of Sox7 deficiency from E7.5 onward to determine from which stage of development the effect of Sox7 deficiency can be observed. We show that while Sox7 is expressed at the onset of endothelial specification from mesoderm, Sox7 deficiency does not impact the emergence of the first endothelial progenitors. However, by E8.5, clear signs of defective vascular development are already observed with the presence of highly unorganised endothelial cords rather than distinct paired dorsal aorta. By E10.5, both Sox7 complete knockout and FLK1-specific deletion of Sox7 lead to widespread vascular defects. In contrast, while SOX7 is expressed in the earliest specified blood progenitors, the VAV-specific deletion of Sox7 does not affect the hematopoietic system. Together, our data reveal the unique role of SOX7 in vasculogenesis and angiogenesis during embryonic development.
CitationSOX7 expression is critically required in FLK1-expressing cells for vasculogenesis and angiogenesis during mouse embryonic development. 2017, 146: 31-41 Mech Dev
JournalMechanisms of Development
- Sox7, Sox17, and Sox18 Cooperatively Regulate Vascular Development in the Mouse Retina.
- Authors: Zhou Y, Williams J, Smallwood PM, Nathans J
- Issue date: 2015
- Sox7-sustained expression alters the balance between proliferation and differentiation of hematopoietic progenitors at the onset of blood specification.
- Authors: Gandillet A, Serrano AG, Pearson S, Lie-A-Ling M, Lacaud G, Kouskoff V
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 26
- SoxF Transcription Factors Are Positive Feedback Regulators of VEGF Signaling.
- Authors: Kim K, Kim IK, Yang JM, Lee E, Koh BI, Song S, Park J, Lee S, Choi C, Kim JW, Kubota Y, Koh GY, Kim I
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 16
- Lentiviral rescue of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-2 expression in flk1-/- embryonic stem cells shows early priming of endothelial precursors.
- Authors: Li X, Edholm D, Lanner F, Breier G, Farnebo F, Dimberg A, Claesson-Welsh L
- Issue date: 2007 Dec
- Sox7 is regulated by ETV2 during cardiovascular development.
- Authors: Behrens AN, Zierold C, Shi X, Ren Y, Koyano-Nakagawa N, Garry DJ, Martin CM
- Issue date: 2014 Sep 1