Quality control in cone-beam computed tomography (CBCT) EFOMP-ESTRO-IAEA protocol (summary report).
Authorsde Las Heras Gala, H
Hernández Girón, I
Sancho Kolster, I
Garayoa Roca, J
AffiliationQUART GmbH & Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, Munich, Germany
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe aim of the guideline presented in this article is to unify the test parameters for image quality evaluation and radiation output in all types of cone-beam computed tomography (CBCT) systems. The applications of CBCT spread over dental and interventional radiology, guided surgery and radiotherapy. The chosen tests provide the means to objectively evaluate the performance and monitor the constancy of the imaging chain. Experience from all involved associations has been collected to achieve a consensus that is rigorous and helpful for the practice. The guideline recommends to assess image quality in terms of uniformity, geometrical precision, voxel density values (or Hounsfield units where available), noise, low contrast resolution and spatial resolution measurements. These tests usually require the use of a phantom and evaluation software. Radiation output can be determined with a kerma-area product meter attached to the tube case. Alternatively, a solid state dosimeter attached to the flat panel and a simple geometric relationship can be used to calculate the dose to the isocentre. Summary tables including action levels and recommended frequencies for each test, as well as relevant references, are provided. If the radiation output or image quality deviates from expected values, or exceeds documented action levels for a given system, a more in depth system analysis (using conventional tests) and corrective maintenance work may be required.
CitationQuality control in cone-beam computed tomography (CBCT) EFOMP-ESTRO-IAEA protocol (summary report). 2017 Phys Med
- A quality assurance framework for the fully automated and objective evaluation of image quality in cone-beam computed tomography.
- Authors: Steiding C, Kolditz D, Kalender WA
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Dual-energy imaging method to improve the image quality and the accuracy of dose calculation for cone-beam computed tomography.
- Authors: Men K, Dai J, Chen X, Li M, Zhang K, Huang P
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Improved image quality of cone beam CT scans for radiotherapy image guidance using fiber-interspaced antiscatter grid.
- Authors: Stankovic U, van Herk M, Ploeger LS, Sonke JJ
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- A phantom for simplified image quality control of dental cone beam computed tomography units.
- Authors: Torgersen GR, Hol C, Møystad A, Hellén-Halme K, Nilsson M
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Comparison of methods for acceptance and constancy testing in dental cone-beam computed tomography.
- Authors: Steiding C, Kolditz D, Kalender W
- Issue date: 2015 Apr