Pediatric cancers and brain tumors in adolescents and young adults.
AffiliationTumors in Adolescents and Young Adults
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEmbryonal tumors classically occur in young children, some principally within the first year of life. Prospective national and international clinical trials during recent decades have brought about progressive improvements in survival, and associated biological studies have advanced our understanding of tumor biology, in some cases allowing biological tumor characteristics to be harnessed for therapeutic benefit. Embryonal tumors continue to occur, albeit less commonly, during childhood, adolescence and throughout adulthood. These tumors are less well understood, usually not managed according to standardized protocols and rarely included in clinical trials. Survival outcomes are generally poorer than their childhood equivalents. We present here a summary of the published literature on embryonal tumors that present ectopically during adolescence and adulthood. We show that for some tumors protocol-driven treatment, supported by accurate and complete diagnostics and staging, can result in equivalent outcomes to those seen during childhood. We make the case that clinical trial eligibility criteria should be disease-based rather than age-based, and support improvements in dialogue between children's and adults' cancer clinicians to improve outcomes for these rare tumors.
CitationPediatric cancers and brain tumors in adolescents and young adults. 2016, 43:74-86 Prog Tumor Res
JournalProgress in Tumor Research
- Brain metastases of malignant germ cell tumors in children and adolescents.
- Authors: Spunt SL, Walsh MF, Krasin MJ, Helton KJ, Billups CA, Cain AM, Pappo AS
- Issue date: 2004 Aug 1
- Incidence, Trends, and Survival of Children With Embryonal Tumors.
- Authors: Tulla M, Berthold F, Graf N, Rutkowski S, von Schweinitz D, Spix C, Kaatsch P
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Brain tumors: from childhood through adolescence into adulthood.
- Authors: Kieran MW, Walker D, Frappaz D, Prados M
- Issue date: 2010 Nov 10
- Central nervous system germ cell tumors: classification, clinical features, and treatment with a historical overview.
- Authors: Fujimaki T
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Primary intracranial germ-cell tumors in adults: a practical review.
- Authors: Bromberg JE, Baumert BG, de Vos F, Gijtenbeek JM, Kurt E, Westermann AM, Wesseling P
- Issue date: 2013 Jun